does any one use blue tooth?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
txgambler
Motorcycle: 1989 goldwing 1500se

does any one use blue tooth?

Postby txgambler » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I have a 1989 1500, most people tell me to go bluetooth? Which one will work with my wing and how hard to install and what kind of stand do I need to hold my phone.

Thanks in Advance

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: does any one use blue tooth?

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 pm

I use a Samsung stereo Bluetooth with ear buds synced to my IPhone for music on a long trip by myself.
When riding a long trip 2 up,I use the bikes system,hard wired but adapted with ear buds instead of the little speakers.
By myself in town it's just the bikes speakers and a cassette adaptor to the IPhone.

txgambler
Motorcycle: 1989 goldwing 1500se

Postby txgambler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:41 am

Sorry I new to this where did you mount the phone? any pictures?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 am

Actually I don't even mount the phone.There's plenty of guys that do bit I find it distracting trying to tap the screen on a winding road.I set mine for music and drop it in the soft pocket

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 am

I received an email from EdSets yesterday that included this info:

In 2013, we want to release two or three new products, and we want your help to understand what your priorities are among our planned products, as well as what products that may not exist, that you feel would make a difference in your enjoyment of motorcycling with communications and music.

1. A new Bluetooth cell phone interface for Goldwings makes it fool-proof easy to use your cell phone with the Wing system, but with a first-ever bonus: more power and fidelity to the helmet! Once paired with your phone, it mixes the cell phone audio mic/speaker stream with the normal multi-function stream of the factory Goldwing ystem. It includes separate volume controls for the bike and the cell audio streams. This system works more naturally than all other systems that have been developed before, and does not re-route any of the factory audio through the intercom. Since we mix the two audio streams at a small voltage, that means we get to to re-amplify the sound going to the headset, and we've designed it to produce much more power and to provide far higher fidelity than the standard Goldwing system while maintaining all the normal features, including cell phone calls. This cell interface will render all others obsolete. Testing is complete, we just need to gauge the demand for it before commiting to production.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 pm

I use the Scala Rider bluetooth head sets for bike to bike communications , My I-phone is linked to my headset. I can recieve calls simply by saying hello or reject a call by staying silent. To make a call while riding I press one button on the side of the helmet and say the name of who I want to call. The other person doesnt even know Im out riding around at the time of the call.

As for the holder for the phone I use something like one of these (see link below), It plugs into the cig lighter and the phone for charging, any music that the phone plays is sent out over the built in FM transmitter to be picked up by any FM radio withing a couple hundred yards. Very handy and costs less than $20. 8-)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 am

I also use the Scala Cardo system on the Wing. Got tired of having the wired setup and liked the ability to answer calls if needed. I also have an FM Xmitter to allow the use of my music on the iPHONE or pandora thru the bike's radio. Been using the bluetooth for about 3 years now. Haven't used it for bike to bike communication..just between myself and my betterhalf. I alos bought a two-ended charger for teh Scala system so when we stop, I can recharge the batteries of the BT system. Works Great!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Im using the ScalaRider G4 system, for bike to bike it is good for 1 mile connections, or as far as I could see the other bike ahead of me. Battery life was good for all day rides , and even half the next day when I forgot to recharge it over night. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

KennyPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby KennyPete » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

I have been using a 6-rider Bluetooth interphone on a GL-1500 for about 3 years. The units I decided on were 2 complete helmet setups Incl. headset and mics and all mounting hardware. The units both pair with 6 BT sources (Cell phone, Ipods, GPS, or other riders that use ANY BT system). Range is limited to about 2000 meters (I Know, ...short range ).
The beauty is the whole 2 helmet system comes at less than $150.00.
I tried 2 different $300.00 + systems and found these to be of comparable quality. Battery charge is good for about 8 hrs continuous audio stream or about 4 days standby (from my experience). My butt can't go that long anyway so it works fine for me and the "boss" behind.
KennyPete
http://www.gooddeals18.com (go to menu link for mc audio).

urbanmadness
Motorcycle: 1982 Gl1100A Aspencade *sold
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby urbanmadness » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:08 pm

I'm currently evaluating an iSimple Trnzit. So far I like it, but I think I need to move it as I have a lot of bluetooth drop outs. I installed it under the seat, I'm thinking it will work better if I move it to inside the fairing.

So far, (other then the drop outs), I really like it. I didn't want or need the ability to answer and place phone calls. As a rule, I ignore phone calls when I'm on the bike. When I ride, the last thing I want to do is be on the phone (I do that 10 hours a day at work). And riding is one of the ways I "disconnect and recharge". What I wanted it for, mostly (besides Pandora), is being able to run GPS turn by turn. I don't have a pillion, so intercom is not a priority. If I ever do need it, the bike's still works perfectly with the added benefit of pillion torture with my musical tastes.

The tranzit, just plugs into the antenna on the stock stereo and a switched, 12volt source. Tune the Stereo to the station you've selected, pair your bluetooth device and you are good to go. I still have my handle bar controls, and I still have the comms system and I can pipe it into the helmet if I desire. So for me, it's the almost perfect solution. It's clean, simple and just works. You don't even need to use the on/off switch that comes with the kit. So far, the only thing I have noticed (other then the drop outs, I'll report back if/when I resolve that), is FM reception is reduced slightly. I may try putting in the switch and see if that resolves the reduced reception. Reception is generally good, but there are two stations I listen to that seem to have disappeared, but they were not very strong signals to begin with and if I ever do want to listen to those stations, I could always just bring up iHeart radio on my phone. Unlimited data is nice sometimes.

Dutch_Hans
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby Dutch_Hans » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi, i use Bluetooth the easy way, there is a Bluetooth adaper which works in the cassette player...its the shape of a casette. I can connect to my phone for music, navigation etc..and have it all over the speakers. Im from germany and i bought this device: http://m.pearl.de/item/5058313439335f30

Works like a charm
Cheers, Hans

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:52 pm

urbanmadness wrote:I'm currently evaluating an iSimple Trnzit. So far I like it, but I think I need to move it as I have a lot of bluetooth drop outs. I installed it under the seat, I'm thinking it will work better if I move it to inside the fairing.

So far, (other then the drop outs), I really like it. I didn't want or need the ability to answer and place phone calls. As a rule, I ignore phone calls when I'm on the bike. When I ride, the last thing I want to do is be on the phone (I do that 10 hours a day at work). And riding is one of the ways I "disconnect and recharge". What I wanted it for, mostly (besides Pandora), is being able to run GPS turn by turn. I don't have a pillion, so intercom is not a priority. If I ever do need it, the bike's still works perfectly with the added benefit of pillion torture with my musical tastes.

The tranzit, just plugs into the antenna on the stock stereo and a switched, 12volt source. Tune the Stereo to the station you've selected, pair your bluetooth device and you are good to go. I still have my handle bar controls, and I still have the comms system and I can pipe it into the helmet if I desire. So for me, it's the almost perfect solution. It's clean, simple and just works. You don't even need to use the on/off switch that comes with the kit. So far, the only thing I have noticed (other then the drop outs, I'll report back if/when I resolve that), is FM reception is reduced slightly. I may try putting in the switch and see if that resolves the reduced reception. Reception is generally good, but there are two stations I listen to that seem to have disappeared, but they were not very strong signals to begin with and if I ever do want to listen to those stations, I could always just bring up iHeart radio on my phone. Unlimited data is nice sometimes.

I've never used the tranzit but I've read good things about it and when I decide to go bluetooth, that's the one I'm planning on using. A far as the dropouts, I wouldn't think being under the seat would cause it. When I pair my phone to either of my BT speakers or tablet, they'll stay connected all the way across the house, through 4 walls, and stream just fine. I'd suggest trying a different phone with it to determine whether the close range dropouts are from your phone or the modulator itself.

flogger
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (Newest Project)

Postby flogger » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 pm

I prefer the sound quality and power from wired connections first and FM transmitters second over Blutooth... But I am merely talking about music/musical applications... just depends on what you are looking for...
1996 GL1500SE GoldWing
1983 GL650i SilverWing
1981 CB750C Custom
1981 CM400 (project)

Image Image Image Image

GlimWas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Pearl Atlantis blue.

Postby GlimWas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:56 am

I would like to see the option of bluetooth integrated in the GW's system too. I like the intercom of the bike, it doesn't need recharging, it just works. But i would like to see some possibillities for hearing my TT Rider 400 trough BT......... I have bought a BT receiver from Ebay
wich i'm going to use this year trough the aux input of the radio, but i'm not entirely certain it's going to work. I'll report back later once i've used it.
Cedo nulli

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94
The next bike won't be '01, will it?

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Your right Honda really should be putting bluetooth on the 1800s by now but thats another subject.

Sena SMH10 here for just over a year now. Sena rocks and Cardo is probably excellent as well. It starts getting more complicated and expensive if you decide you want to hear the bikes audio system over your headset. Or you might decide its enough to listen to music from your phone and have the ability to answer calls as well. Or you may want a gps to bluetooth to your headset as well. :D :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade 4Sale soon
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Postby Charlie1Horse » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:20 pm

The guys I ride with all love their CB radios and I cannot sell them on BT so I have one helmet with Cardo/Scala Rider for most days and another identical helmet with hardwired headset (my Wednesday helmet) so I can communicate with them. I like the Cardo/Scala system but, for the dual setup it cost about $500.00. I did find it new on ebay for $300.00 and it works really good but, there is no accommodation for CB radio. One of the guys I ride with has a Sena system that has an interface module that links with his onboard CB. I am considering The Sena because one of the new ones (can't remember the model) has a helmet camera which records a continual loop of video. When you have an incident you need to record just the press of a button saves a little of the past recording and some of the future event. I think it totals about 90 seconds. Really handy in an accident situation. Gotta do some more research before deciding.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

zandersn
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Postby zandersn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Is there a Bluetooth device you can add to the factory installed intercom on a 1998 GL1500SE that will allow you to continue to use the bikes audio system, intercom system, CB radio and allow you to integrate your cell phone to where you can make/receive calls and stream the audio from your phone's MP3/GPS?

If there isn't a device that is plug and play, has anyone had any luck with hard wiring a Bluetooth headset into the intercom system that will allow you to make/receive calls and stream the audio from your phone's MP3/GPS?

Any help or ideas would be appreciative.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Happytrails » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:49 pm

zandersn wrote:Is there a Bluetooth device you can add to the factory installed intercom on a 1998 GL1500SE that will allow you to continue to use the bikes audio system, intercom system, CB radio and allow you to integrate your cell phone to where you can make/receive calls and stream the audio from your phone's MP3/GPS?

If there isn't a device that is plug and play, has anyone had any luck with hard wiring a Bluetooth headset into the intercom system that will allow you to make/receive calls and stream the audio from your phone's MP3/GPS?

Any help or ideas would be appreciative.

I ended up adding a Sena SM-10 that will do nearly all that except you can't transmit CB. But Sena is supposed to come out with "livewire" that they say will allow all of that and its supposed to be out this month I thought. It will cost more than an SM-10 and I think there are additional features. Sounds very good but its also more expensive than the SM-10.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Santanilson
Motorcycle: 97 Honda Gold Wing GL 1500SE

Postby Santanilson » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 am

I use Bluetooth with an LG headset and my IPhone for music and phone calls while I ride. I also do not have music on my phone so I listen to internet music like Pandora which works quite nicely so long as I have cell service. When I don't have cell service then I go to FM stations through the system on my wing. Also, I do not mount my phone to my bike as there are enough distractions on the road, so it is in a pocket or on my belt.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Postby wingdings » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 pm

try this - Cobra's Marine MR F300 BT EU Waterproof Bluetooth Hand Set for Moble Phones.

Cobra's MR F300 BT is the loudest and clearest way to make and receive cell phone calls on your boat!
 Do you ever worry about getting your cell phone wet or missing a phone call?
Do you have a difficult time making clear calls while underway or in windy conditions?
Cobra's MR F300 BT solves all of these problems.
Simply use your Bluetooth-capable mobile phones menu to pair it with the MR F300 BT EU, the same way you would a Bluetooth headset.
Bluetooth Wireless Technology Unique noise cancelling design.
Loud and Clear incoming audio.
Phone calls heard through powerful speaker.
Meets JIS7 standards Submersible for 30 minutes in one meter deep water.
Install and set up in as little as 30 minutes.
Large dot matrix display area No need to recharge or replace batteries.
Ergonomic design for incredible comfort Incoming calls appear on LCD screen for caller identification.
One-touch redial of last phone number dialled. Call Log of incoming, outgoing and missed calls.
Easy to program and dial. Easy for you to access your most frequently used numbers.
Volume can be set or controlled during the call.
Backlit Blue Buttons and Display. Great visibility during day or night.
Easy to operate Low backlighting settings for low-light bridge conditions.

hope this may help you !! - yes - cost you about £48 in the uk

Call can be played over boats amplified speaker system Connects directly to your boat's 12V DC power system through an easy-to-install waterproof plug.
Cobra software upgrades can be made through a standard USB connector.
User guide
Boxed

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”