I AM BACK STARTING ISSUES

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

I AM BACK STARTING ISSUES

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Starting a new thread as the old one is ...well old. look here for some back round..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15084

and here for a poll on starter cranking when the stop switch is in the kill position..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15259

note the poll seems to bare out the idea that pre 97 bikes crank the starter when the kill switch is in the off position and 97 on it does not....but not entirely as a few bikes go against the majority..not sure if it's due to PO's changing things or ????.

Anyway to the current issue.. Bike has been starting just fine for the last 4 weeks or so. The issue of not cranking the starter just disappeared..now it's back. Again I have jiggled the reverse lever, bumped the kill switch back and forth working on a fulling charged battery 12.5 and the headlight fuse out to save juice in between attempts to start her.

So when I hit the start switch..I hear clicking when I release it..I have put a stethoscope on both relays and they both have a loud click when the start button is released..I also put my finger on them to be sure I wasn't hearing sounds from someplace else...both solenoids/relays are clicking on release of the starter button..nothing when I push it in??? Is that weird or normal???

If normal does that mean I actually have a intermittent starter issue "for sure" or could it be something else? Note it has warmed up her into the 70's..and the last four weeks or so it's been only in the 50's and 60's for the most part. That's the only change I can think of in the bikes life.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: I AM BACK STARTING ISSUES

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Once on a different intermittent project,I attached several small lamps to each point in the circuit.with a glance,I was able to see where the circuit failed.
You can only diagnose this when it is in a "won't crank" mode.As soon as you let off the button,all tests are void.
If you continuously have a no crank,locate and probe the starter stud first to eliminate it as the cause( yes the started could be intermittent too),from there go to the 2 solenoids.they both must pass power from the battery to the starter.Just because they click dosen't mean they actually work.
As far as being a intermittent problem,it must be tested at the moment it won't work,hense the attachment of the lamps.connections would be at the starter,each solenoid and the energizing wires.
For a comprehensive watch,there would be 7 lamps needed to monitor each circuit.

robb
Motorcycle: 1989 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Postby robb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:31 am

Check relays 3 and 8 for operation, could be bad. Could be bank angle sensor.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks for the ideas..wow this just keeps getting better and better.. 7 lamps I'll look like a Xmas tree.. :)
I did notice something yesterday in the no crank mode..again only clicking/no crank on the release of the button..so I started to pay close attention to my pushing of the stater button..did it very slowly and about 3/4 in she fired up..I will play with that some more and see if a slow push overcomes the no crank issue..maybe I have a very dirty or loose starter button assembly???
I hate these on again off again issues.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE
Pearl Bermuda Green

Postby bellboy40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:51 pm

From your description it sounds to me like you have a problem with the starter button. I would take it apart and clean up everything. That just might fix your trouble. Be careful taking that switch apart. The little springs can get away from you if you are not careful. I didn't find a how-to article on this site for that procedure but here is one from another forum.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500startbutton.htm

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”