Not a rear seal , what is the deal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
giturgun
Motorcycle: 88 1500 gl

Not a rear seal , what is the deal

Postby giturgun » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Thought I had a rear seal leaking . Tire has a few streaks on it . Not over full , I checked and filled it to the fill plug bottom threads. The vent has fresh looking oil on it like it is leaking out the top of the vent. Ok That don't bother me . How do I fix it from leaking ?? Have the tire and rear off to mount a new tire. All the spacers are there and the wheel has no side to side or play such as wobble in it at all. I am going to wait for an answer before I put it back together . I did top it off last fall a short time after I bought it . :lol:

[b]The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times[/b]

old vfr
Motorcycle: 79 CX500
99 XL1000V
90 VFR750F

Re: Not a rear seal , what is the deal

Postby old vfr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I suggest that you lower the level to about 6 mm below the threads. Nearly every "oil from the final drive vent" concern can be resolved in this manner.

giturgun

Postby giturgun » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Will do first thing in the morning . I added some when I noticed the slight dampening on the rear tire sidewall . Just bought the bike and topped it off . Probably started the leak myself unknowingly.
Thanks
[b]The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times[/b]

giturgun

Postby giturgun » Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm

:D Leak is gone . I went to a heavier oil and it fixed it right up. ;) It did have a few drops sometimes but seems to have found the level it likes by it's self

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”