Rear speakers- how to connect them back in?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Rear speakers- how to connect them back in?

Postby liquineer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 am

Now I have the radio lights working again I am turning back to the rear speakers- they do function now that I have pushed the loose connecter wires back on the rear speakers, but they are much quieter than the front ones. I am assuming it is due to the way they are wired directly to the front speakers, and they are losing volume due to that. I am missing still the rear connecting kit that should have gone with the front mounted fader control part of the kit- now I know where to look for the connectors for the front (that will be my next little task, to dig them out from behing the tupperware) I was wondering if by any chance anyone has the rear part of the fader connecting kit, that they could send to me, or if not, how to buy off the net, just the rear part of the kit. I don't really want to buy a complete new kit, as I have the rear speakers, I have the fader control, just missing a few wires and the connector blocks.

Are we having fun yet?

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Re: Rear speakers- how to connect them back in?

Postby Mag » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

I have to order the front fader section for my bike since the wires popped off the original one and I do not see a way to fix it. I think they come in both front and back, so I could get you a new one if someone does not have an old one sitting around.

I will wait for this weekend to order to see if someone has the rear wires only.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:21 pm

That's very kind of you Mag- I can order it directly to save you any hassle, as I need it shipped to the UK ,if you could supply me with the contact information of the company you will use, then I can get the correct wire harness.

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm

I will be using Cyclemax (thx to this site for that recommendation)....it is the
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_rear_speaker_harness_with_fader/129/147895

I have not been able to find the rear speaker harness solely on its own, it is either sold with the fader control harness or with the speaker kit itself.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm

I too had the same problem.I ran the rear speaker wires and attached them to the existing plug that goes to the fader ccontrol.the plug was on the left side by the air cleaner.Follow the control wires down to it.The schematic for the radio shows the wires.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Good idea Virgil, I did think of that, but was not sure it would work.
Thanks for the Cyclemax link Mag- will see if I can work out how to connect the speaker wires from the rear to the fader control- the wires run both sides of the frame to the back of the front speakers, so plenty to work with. Just need to dig out the fader sockets from behind the fairing. If that fails, will see if anyone does just the rear wiring seperately- (I can see where they plug in now)
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:52 am

Just a quick query- for those that have the rear speaker to front fader kit- how many plugs are there on the rear section- It strikes me that you would only need one, as there are four wires in total coming from the rear speakers so there should be a four wire socket to plug in to- or am I talking out my backside?
It is so much easier to work with a car wiring harness- you can see where everything goes, (mostly) but with the Goldwing, stuff disappears in to harnesses, which are routed heaven knows where, and pop up somewhere else- I know it is because it has to be crammed in to a small space, but for someone like me , who is fairly good with most electro mechanical stuff- it is just a bit frustrating at times- and I will only learn by asking and doing , so bear with me until I feel I can run on my own. :D
Are we having fun yet?

Mag

Postby Mag » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 am

There is a plug under the passenger section of the seat, looks like a rubber sock and the plug is located in there. I know we have another discussion sitting around here, I have it explained out, I also have a conversation chain showing the connections of the fader control.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks Mag- yes I have found the rubber sock- it was complicated by the fact that there is another device plugged in to the same area- it turns out to be an obsolete aftermarket helmet communications system that had to be connected to a 7 pin socket via and adaptor- naturally the adaptor is not there, and that threw me a little, trying to figure out what plug was what- I have had confirmed since I wrote the request above, so one mystery solved- I shall remove the obsolete system as the original manufacturers went bust in 2009 and they were re-launched under the same name after a buy out but with different kit now, and they don't have any information on the old system to give me. I shall re-look at the other thread- I still have to get the front fairing off to get the front connectors in to the open- but struggling to get the reverse lever off- the hex bolt won't budge.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”