New to me bike won't start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

New to me bike won't start

Postby tlchapp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 am

Hey fella's. i just bought my first goldwing and i assume it has been sitting since 2002 because that's when the license plates expired. However, I cant get the bike to start. It doesnt seem to be getting any gas. I know on my crotch rocket when you turn the key i hear the fuel pump come on. i dont hear anything when i turn the key. The guy i purchased the bike from gave me a brand new fuel pump. i put the pump in and still got nothing. i was also told that it could be the bank angle sensor which shuts the fuel pump off it the bike falls over. Is that correct? and if so where is that sensor located? Any other suggestions on how i could trouble shoot this?

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: New to me bike won't start

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

The very first thing is to download the 88-89 euro manual from the "manuals" section.
Second..remove the seat and,with a test probe or volt meter,measure for volts at the top of the tank that feed the fuel pump....WHILE CRANKING.
Be certain you probe the pump wire and not the fuel lamp wire.
If there is no power,you probably don't have spark either....Pull one wire and lay a plug on the engine and test.
The bank angle sensor is mounted on the right side,near the trunk area....It has power that goes through it to the ignition module and if there is no volts to the ignition module there won't be any spark AND no ignition pulses to trigger the pump relay.
The power wire for the ignition module is located on the right side under the shelter,just on the side of the air cleaner.
Again if there is no spark there won't be any fuel volts,so check the KILL switch.
Mine will crank with it in the OFF position too.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: New to me bike won't start

Postby Cantankerous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 am

Check the kill switch first of all! Have you changed out the fuel filter?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”