Bike Covers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dayta
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Interstate

Bike Covers

Postby Dayta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:13 pm

I'm in the market for a good durable bike cover for my 1500 interstate. Looking on the usual sites there are several advertised but I'm still hesitant. Can anyone suggest one that's been tried and are much satisfied with?

Thanks
Dayta

Dayta
GWRRA #360830

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Bike Covers

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Is it for indoor or outdoor use? Are you wanting a full cover or partial?
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I use this half cover when travelling because a full cover takes up too much room.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/ultraga ... er/126/861

When bike is in storage for the winter I use this full cover:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/ultraga ... /126/94256
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Dayta
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Interstate

Postby Dayta » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 am

My concern was as far as covering for outside parking on over night trips.

Dayta
Dayta
GWRRA #360830

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:30 am

I purchase the least expensive outdoor covers I can get, and use them for the two to three years they last and then replace them. I have found that three times the price usually gets me an extra year and that's it, so throw away technology works for me. I usually pay under $30 for a full outdoor cover. Cycle Max, Wing Stuff and EBay are three sources I have found. Some others might be Harbour Freight and JC Whitney. The greatest thing about the cheap covers is - they come with their own stuff sack, and they stuff up small enough to take with.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:08 pm

I have both an expensive full cover, and a less expensive half cover, both designed specifically for 1500's. I have never used the full cover once, basically because it's too bulky to carry anywhere, and I have a garage to park my bike in when I'm home. I carry the half cover with me all the time. I sprayed it with some camping tent waterproofing compound, which makes it 100% waterproof. I've had it on my bike during a huge rainstorm. The next morning, there were pools of water in the cover, but when I pulled it off the bike, the bike was dry as a bone.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Postby Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 am

Bought 2 covers when I got my 1500. One was real heavy duty (heavy material), the other was a relatively cheap, lightweight item. Tried both, and fell in love with the cheap, light one. Liked it so much, I bought another as a backup. What's nice about the cover is it fits as if it's a custom made cover for a GL1500. It is ridiculously easy to put on. Start at the back, drag it to the front, and in virtually one sweep, you're done. Has extra strong material at the lower rear for the exhausts, and a protective piece for the windshield. There is an elastic band around the bottom for a tight fit. Can't beat the price. Give this a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. From Northern Tool, or Amazon. The picture as shown, doesn't do it justice. It covers virtually the entire bike, except for the lower 7" of the tires. So easy to use....you'll actually use it. (see link)

This may sound stupid, but it took me a week to discover that I didn't need a cover with 'antenna holes' for the antennas. I assume the rest of you know the antennae fold down :lol:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200327034
Attachments

lappir
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A

Postby lappir » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:39 am

Nelson Rigg is the name on the cover that came with my Used 1500 over 7 years ago. Don't know how long the previous owner had it before that. It is the best cover I have ever owned. Would buy one again if I had the need. It doesn't look like I will have to any time soon. The cover used to get used quite often, but since I have a half cover too it doesn't get used as often. I almost always cover the bike if I am out away from my garage. The nice thing about the half cover is you don't have to put down the antenna. The edges on the antenna are what did in several of my previous covers. The wind (in Kansas) would cause the cover to weaken in that area and before you knew it a hole. Of course I wouldn't fix the small hole right away and then the big hole was too much. Have not had that problem with the Nelson Rigg. Haven't tried to find one but I assume Google will have a listing.

Rod

macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby macdaddykeith » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:17 pm

I bought one from Wallyworld in Feb. of last year and used it everyday outside and inside the garage. It is a heavy material with a bag for storage. By Aug. it was crap. The liner for the windshield was so bad, it would leave large pieces of it all over the bike when I would remove it. I bought a new one at the "Wings Over Carolinas" show a month later from Niehaus. It was a Ultraguard. It is light and overs more of the bike than the other cover did. It covers all of the front tire except for about 6" or so and covers all of the rest of the bike including the exhaust pipes. The front windshield section has a liner and the section areas of the exhaust have a heat liner also. I also have a Tulsa windshield and it fits fine. I just fold down the antennas and slip it on. When it is rolled up and in the bag, it fits fine in the side bag. It is about twice the thickness of the tool kit and a little larger in width and length.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”