Silencers

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Silencers

Postby Big Blue UK » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:57 am

I am looking to buy a second pair of silencers, I want something as quiet as originals.
Does anyone have Motads fitted with the triple outlets, if so are they as quiet as the originals.
After a quick browse I was not exactly spoilt for choice, any pointers or suggestions would be great.
I have Borla Powersports fiited, they look and sound great, but I really need something to pop on for long journeys,
they are doing my head in on motorways.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Silencers

Postby redial » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 am

I can only quote what has happened in Oz, mainly because of all the deaf HD riders that like to hear something. However, in Oz, the Australian Design Rules (ADR) for vehicles requires that exhaust systems must have the noise level stamped/engraved on the outside, the manufacturer's name, and the make and model the silencer was made for. If you rip out the insides, or interfere with the noise levels, then you get put off the road with a defect notice. This then means that you need to go through a complete vehicle inspection.

In the same vein, I would not be purchasing a secondhand exhaust system, as they all have a limited life, and how do you know that it hasnt been ridden through the salt flats for the last ten years, and is rusted out.

Whatever you do, I like the stock lack of noise, but then I like the quiet life.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Silencers

Postby Big Blue UK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:22 am

Thanks for your reply, I do want a second pair not a second hand pair, I want a new quiet stainless pair. The Borlas are stainless.
Shame the same rules do not apply here, having the Db stamped would be just too easy and makes tooo much sense for the UK,
unless they could boost your road tax if the noise level was above standard spec,
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”