Valve Job

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 honda goldwing

Valve Job

Postby SAILOR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:24 am

I was told by a guy selling a bike that a ticking sound was because when he put new valves in his GL1500 he over or under shimmed them. He said to fix the problem you either need a shim to be taken out, or a shim to be added to the noisy value. It sounded like it was only a single valve and it starts ticking after the bike is really warmed up. Could this even be true since the GL1500 has hydralic valve adjustments? If it really is a shimming issues. He also said he has riden it 4,000 miles with a ticking value because he was to lazy to take the head off again and it should not be a problem even if you don't want to fix it. How much BS is this guy thowing around?

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Valve Job

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:06 am

No BS.
If a quick restoration of the heads were done,the rebuilder may not have gone through the steps of measuring the clearance and using the proper number of shims.
The service manual covers all this..step by step.
It's possible just the original shims were put back in leading to the poor tolerances.
Another possibility is a bad hydraulic lifter.It is suppose to keep the valve clearance at zero and if sticking or not bled properly(also in the manual) it can also lead to ticking.
Is it bad.????Personally I'd say yes....Detrimental.??? in the short but it really needs to be fixed.Any tappet noise means the cam is smacking the rocker and will eventually create a flat spot.Then a new cam and rocker would be necessary.
I'm more interested in why the heads were off in the first place.....Why did he need new valves??
They really don't just go bad.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”