Cassette icon flashing on LCD display- tape won't play

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Cassette icon flashing on LCD display- tape won't play

Postby liquineer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi,
Managed to rewire the LED lights on the radio to neaten them up and prevent the tape mechanism catching. That is now fine, tape goes in and rejects as its should.

What I have now is when a tape is in, I can hear the tape running, but sounds like it is winding or re-winding. There is a flashing cassette symbol on the LCD and no matter how long I wait, the tape never plays. I have tried searching the forums and the internet and a manual I have, for what the flashing symbol means, but despite my searches I can't find what I need. It did play when I was testing the rear speaker fader and could get front/back speakers fully on or off, which was good, and that was when I discovered that the tape was jamming on eject and hence I re-wired the LED's to route the wiring in a better way.

I am puzzled now by this little problem. Radio itself works well- get nice sound on both FM and AM, after cleaning up the mute switch again with contact cleaning, that will now switch off, so any suggestions as to what needs checking so that I can play the tape as it should be played?

Oh by the way, when I opened up the radio again to re-wire etc. a piece fell out , cylindrical, about 1/2" or so long, with a narrow hollow down the centre of it. I have no idea what it is, what it came from and if indeed this is the cause of the problem. I can photograph it if anyone wants to see it.

Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Cassette icon flashing on LCD display- tape won't play

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:56 pm

liquineer wrote:Hi,
Managed to rewire the LED lights on the radio to neaten them up and prevent the tape mechanism catching. That is now fine, tape goes in and rejects as its should.

What I have now is when a tape is in, I can hear the tape running, but sounds like it is winding or re-winding. There is a flashing cassette symbol on the LCD and no matter how long I wait, the tape never plays. I have tried searching the forums and the internet and a manual I have, for what the flashing symbol means, but despite my searches I can't find what I need. It did play when I was testing the rear speaker fader and could get front/back speakers fully on or off, which was good, and that was when I discovered that the tape was jamming on eject and hence I re-wired the LED's to route the wiring in a better way.

I am puzzled now by this little problem. Radio itself works well- get nice sound on both FM and AM, after cleaning up the mute switch again with contact cleaning, that will now switch off, so any suggestions as to what needs checking so that I can play the tape as it should be played?

Oh by the way, when I opened up the radio again to re-wire etc. a piece fell out , cylindrical, about 1/2" or so long, with a narrow hollow down the centre of it. I have no idea what it is, what it came from and if indeed this is the cause of the problem. I can photograph it if anyone wants to see it.

Is it made of rubber? The pinch roller from the tape deck perhaps?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 am

It could be Wingadmin, I will take a photo later and post it- Having put everything back together, I would have hoped all would be well. I could not see an obvious place that it came from, but it did puzzle me- I have not had a cassette deck in pieces for 20/30 years so it all looks alien to me now- amazing how technology moves on. I could do without the cassette, but I don't like things not working- it bugs me.

One bonus, yesterday I noticed that the CB screen was illuminated and was displaying channel numbers- I confess never having seen that before, so obviously my fiddling about pulling the plug from it to get to the rear fader connection, did some good- it was on my list of what to check next, (although low down.) of more concern is the coolant leak I have posted seperately.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Pictures of item that fell out of radio

Hope sombody recognises it- it is hard, not flexible at all

Martin
Are we having fun yet?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Pretty hard to tell, those are very small pictures. It could be a circuit board standoff? But if I recall, those are cast into the enclosure of the radio.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 am

Yes I tried uploading some bigger pixe size pictures but I kept getting an unsuccesful operation type of message- is there a maximum size of file I should not exceed. My camera gives around 14 million pixels per photo, so I uploaded them to flickr and then linked to those to get them on here- If I know how big they need to be, then I will size them accordingly and re-post.
Are we having fun yet?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm

My guess without seeing the whole thing....
A pivot pin on a latch mechanism or the pinch roller center pin.The casette has 2 rollers,it's auto reverse.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Looks like it is radio out time- just when I had it back together!
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I am trying to add a larger pixel size photo- but I get a timeout when uploading one from my PC

here is a link to my flicker page with the image on it- I hope this works

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25946713@N ... hotostream
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 pm

That seemed to work

here is the link to my other image on flickr account

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25946713@N ... hotostream

if any one viewing these pictures can help me I would be grateful.

I have the radio out now, checked the mechanism without power, it all seems to work OK, I cannot see where that part would go, or if it has fallen from there at all. The only thing I did find was some fine strands of the hot glue which came from the re-wire process I did, but who knows if that was preventing anything working, or might have obstucted something? I will try plugging it back in to the wiring harness tomorrow, without the covers on and see if I can watch what is happening with the power switched on.
Are we having fun yet?

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm

liquineer::

The flashing tape image indicates that the player is fast-forwarding or re-winding. It will continue showing that until (in the normal/ideal situation) it reaches the end of the tape, and then it will stop flashing, show solid and reverse direction and play. The only ways I know to interrupt it is to either eject the tape (not at all a graceful solution) or to hit the PLAY button. It sounds like you have been doing a lot of "cleanup" ie dirty connections, etc. Perhaps all of the manual buttons on the radio itself need some attention (ie cleaning, lube, etc). If the ff or rew button is "stuck in", I would think the player would act like it is now. I admit that I have almost never used the radio cover that came with the bike. It was designed and provided to protect the radio, etc from the elements. So at some point I may be looking at maintenance similar to what you're going through.

The only time I use the tape deck any more is for a cassette adapter for my mp3 player, but even that will go away when I set up a wireless/FM adapter. Good luck, and let us know how things progress.

Ron in MI
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks for the info re- flashing icon- I thought it meant what you have described, i.e. it was fast forward/rewinding, but needed confirmation. It was working properly until a wire from the LED conversion I did fell down and stopped the mechanism engaging properly, I since have re-routed some of that wiring, and everything operates smoothly in the adding tape/ejecting tape mode- just it seems never to finish winding/rewinding. I have the tape cued up to start now by using another cassette player I have, so when I connect up the wiring harness tomorrow, I can at least know it is ready to play and see what happens.

I have downloaded the manual for the RM 1500A, which is my model, and so far can't spot anything on the schematic that matches my item that fell out. I really need actual photo's of the parts to confirm, but I doubt that is likely to be possible! :D
Are we having fun yet?

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:56 pm

You might contact Sierra Electronics. They have serviced the 1500s radios among others for years. They might be able to discuss your problem, especially if you email them pix of the part that fell out..

Their web address is: http://www.sierra-mc.com/

Good luck. Ron in MI

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Good idea- message sent- will see if they know what it is.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Update from Sierra electronics- they have looked at the picture, one of their technicians has examined a radio and assures me it does not belong to the radio. So my assumption is that it must have fallen in from a previous owner doing some maintenance and they have not bothered to retieve it. What a helpful company.
Are we having fun yet?

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Did they give you any ideas on what the problem with the playback might be?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Just in case anyone wants to see the image:

I have no idea what it's from, but I'm pretty sure it's not from your radio.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:12 am

Hi Ron,
The only question they asked after assuring me that the part it is not from the radio, was does my radio hold the memory- as far as I can see it does and I replied to that effect (doing this by e-mail rather than long distance call) and so far I have not had a follow up, which may not come as they did answer my original query- does the question about memory jog anyone else;s mind at all?

Wingadmin, you will have to tell me how you got the larger picture posted here- I struggled trying to upload the original large file from my computer - this forums software timed out on me numbers of times, and my flickr account allowed me to copy the thumbnail version (which was small) but I was a bit stumped with the larger picture. Did you just copy the URL in to the post?
Are we having fun yet?

landisr
1994 GL1500A

Postby landisr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:59 am

He/they asked about memory etc to determine whether a particular fuse has failed, but I have no idea how that would affect the rewind function. But they know a ton more about these things than I do. I thought they may have seen this sort of 'behavior' before and could offer a suggestion sight-unseen. But they for sure could make it right if you sent it in for service.

Again, good luck.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 am

Well had mixed fortunes today so far- partially asembelled the radio so that the top cover was electrically connected, but allowed me to lift the cover to watch the cassette- I cued it up last night to the start of the tape using a seperate player, and as I watched, the drive engaged, once the lead in to the music was up- hey presto, music from the speakers, solid cassette image on the LED etc. Removed the radio to fully assemble (to cold to stay out for to long, fingers going numb quickly-we have snow coming down) and reconnected the wiring harness and it was absolutely dead, the LCD was dead also, so my memory was that fuse 10 might have blown (though why that should be I don't know) disconnected radio opened up again to make sure it was all plugged in correctly internally, that was OK, so it is back on the bike. Took a break to have lunch and watch the Malaysian Grand Prix qualifying highlights, and just about to go and look at fuse 10- which on checking the manual, would appear to be the culprit- so watch this space. If that is not the issue, you will hear my cries of exasperation all the way out to you. You learn a lot quickly with this machine!
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 am

-and so the saga goes on- it was fuse 10, LCD back on and displaying, radio working, LED's not functioning though- guess that was the cause of the blown fuse- last outing for the radio- bringing it back indoors for a look see and correct what ever it was that shorted -if possible- I can live without the LED's, but this whole saga started by replacing the lights in the radio in the first place. :shock:
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 am

-taken apart radio, no obvious short or fault for the LED's- they will work with a 9v battery powering them,, nothing obviousso it is not the LED's themselves ,checked for loose connections- nothing else presented itself, so I reassembled, connected the harness up- radio works, just no lights- given up on this now and put everything back together again and may come back to it another day if I have to take the shelter off again- as long as everything else functions it is a minor, if annoying loss.
Are we having fun yet?

bayoudave
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 Motortrike

Postby bayoudave » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Here are some close ups of the photos you took.

2002 Goldwing Motortrike Spider
2007 PiggyBacker Trailer
2009 Time Out Deluxe Camper
2006 Arctic Fox Toy Hauler

CMA
PGR

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:01 am

liquineer wrote:Hi Ron,
The only question they asked after assuring me that the part it is not from the radio, was does my radio hold the memory- as far as I can see it does and I replied to that effect (doing this by e-mail rather than long distance call) and so far I have not had a follow up, which may not come as they did answer my original query- does the question about memory jog anyone else;s mind at all?

Wingadmin, you will have to tell me how you got the larger picture posted here- I struggled trying to upload the original large file from my computer - this forums software timed out on me numbers of times, and my flickr account allowed me to copy the thumbnail version (which was small) but I was a bit stumped with the larger picture. Did you just copy the URL in to the post?

I copied the URL of the actual image file into the post, and the forum will convert that to an attachment.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks WingAdmin, I did wonder if that was the case, I will know for better next time.

Are we having fun yet?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”