Gearshift shaft Oil Seal

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Gearshift shaft Oil Seal

Postby fnickel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Need to replace this oil seal on a '92 SE. Anyone done this before? I don't see it listed in the How-To Articles. Looks like the lower cowl needs to come off. I think it is metal. How many mounting points are there for this cover? Anything else that should be known before starting on this job? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Gearshift shaft Oil Seal

Postby dingdong » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:38 am

What isn't pictured or explained is that you also need to drop the header. It can be replaced without dropping the header but I'm not sure which method is easier. I replaced mine with the header in place but in order to remove the shift shaft extension from the main shaft the removable frame piece has to be loosened at the rear and flexed about 1/4 inch. Good luck!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

fnickel

Postby fnickel » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:01 am

Looking at it from here, I think the only way to do it is to drop the exhaust. No way to access the seal without getting the exhaust and all of the shrouding out of the way (mine is an SE, maybe others are less cluttered). I broke an exhaust stud in the process, which I am now replacing. I got the exhaust headers lowered by about an inch or 2, just enough to allow my vice grips in to remove the broken stud. Just trying to figure out where to detach the exhaust at the rear in order to drop the header portion by at least 6 inches, enough to get my hand in there to replace the seal. Will check a manual to find all the attach points. Any advice on dropping the exhaust would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 am

I have replaced the shift shaft seal on 3 SE modle 1500's...without removing the exhaust. At first look, you'd think the jack shaft wouldn't come out of there because of the shaft's proximity to the exhaust, but it will come out. With just a little bit of maneuvering, you can get the jackshaft situated to where it's cockeyed on the shaft, and turned to where the narrowest portion of its body slips through the space between the shaft and the exhaust. Reinstall in the same manner.
Keep the rubber side down.

fnickel

Postby fnickel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:18 pm

I think I could get the extension out easily enough, but I thought the rest of it would be next to impossible (removing the old seal, and installing the new one). I thought that I would need to get one hand in there behind the exhaust to do that. How did you manage that? Any special tools required? I think that I would need a longer pick than the one I have to remove the old seal. How would you push the new seal into place if you can't get your hand in there?

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm

As chance would have it, the 3 seals I have done were all quite easy to remove. A simple flat head screwdriver was all I used to pry out two of them, and the 3rd, lol, well, I grabbed it with my fingers and pulled it right out. Installed the new seals with a long drift punch, tapped the seals in with the punch itself, no hammer.
Keep the rubber side down.

leondrew
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500I

Postby leondrew » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:48 am

I pulled the exhaust header and gained access to the seal. Was the easiest way I thought. Oil had poured out after a fresh oil change. Had just replace front tire and ready to hit the road. Grrr.
Thanks
Leon

rwj1500se
Motorcycle: 1997 1500 se goldwing

Postby rwj1500se » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 am

Changed my shifter seal last season on a 97 se not as easy as every one seems to think. Remove the left exhaust pipe and header also the engine guard still not a lot of clearance to remove the shifter arm but possible mark the position of the arm in relation to the shaft to keep the same clock angle on re installation. The seal itself come out fairly easily pick it out working around the shaft not the case side i used a snap on hook pick, to replace the seal it pushes in fairly easily or mine did with a socket with the right diameter .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I've written up a how-to article/pictorial on the process here: How to replace your GL1500 shifter oil seal

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”