Quality rotor replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Quality rotor replacement

Postby Dogsled » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 pm

Last year I replaced the rear rotor on my 97 because I ground it out on a trip when the EBC pads wore out quicker than I thought they would (my fault)
I bought a new rotor a year or two ago from Cyclemax, installed, had a great year and shut my bike down for the winter with half pad life on the brakes.

I went to turn the wheel to find the air pressure valve when it warmd up for 4 hours this year and the wheel was 'stuck' a quick jerk and it broke loose and the wheel spun freely. When I turned it I noticed that all the plating on the rotor was GONE and it was pure rust....I read pad moisture and not metal on metal can cause this... but i don't even understand the 'pad moisture'.....the wheel spun free when I put it on the jack at storage....I turned it while it was in the air to check for tire damage before storage....all clear and tire spinning free. When I tried it now it was only the inside rotor that had the damage.....WHY?????? I paid alot of money for this rotor...

Are there aftermarket rotors with less plating on them? should we be asking what we are getting as far as plating thickness. these were not sintered brakes, all organic. my front brakes are like new. what the heck would cause this? How could the inner rotor have rust and the outer be like new. I am by far a rotor expert and want to know if there may have been an issue with the plating? Do we need to look out for different manufacturers putting on less plating? For what they charge for these rotors, I think this is uncalled for. I've worked on old cars that sat for years and had surface rust but was able to be cleaned of with no visible effects.
To me this missing plating is going to cause a hot spot over a period and possibly warp the rotor..... Maybe aftermarket products that are sold by online DO save a buck, but you pay for it over the long run compared to OEM.

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: Quality rotor replacement

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:46 pm

I've never saw this before. I see rotors on bikes in the junkyard that look like they could be easily cleaned and reused and they have been sitting there outside for eons.

I don't really know that rotors are plated. I don't believe they are. I mean, think about it. If they were plated, during normal use and wear, the plating would be removed after only a relatively short time. The plating would have to be thick enough to allow for wear down to the minimum allowable thickness of the rotor. I can't see anything having plating that thick. They just are produced with a certain grade of metal.

I have seen automotive rotors pit, and badly, but this was on cars that sat in a moist place, like on grass, and rarely get driven. Even this happens over a much longer time span than your issue. Overall rusting, sure, but like you said, it is easily removed unless it sat outside and unused for years.

My thinking is that the rotors you bought were made from very inferior metal for this to happen after only such a short time. I would contact Cyclemax, with pictures and proof of the purchase date, and see what they say. If it were me, I'd push the issue and I've been known to do just that. This shouldn't have happened.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Re: Quality rotor replacement

Postby Dogsled » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks for the reply...now that you mention 'plating' the ones I gouged out when the pads wore too low were still shiny and they were cut 'DEEP'... You know what else, I was typing and never mean't to mention any names, especially cyclemax. My thoughts were more along the lines of aftermarket compared to OEM ....oops.
Maybe I will tale a few pics while it's still snowing and send them to them to get their opinion. Once again thanks.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”