1500GL brake pads

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

1500GL brake pads

Postby Sidcar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:14 am

The brakes on my 1500 GL outfit are adequate but that's all.
I was going to try and fit a brake servo to the foot brake but I've been told replacing the old standard pads will improve things.
The discs(rotors?) are in good condition, the bikes only done 13000 miles.
Any recommendations?
What do you trike owners use.

Sid

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: 1500GL brake pads

Postby wjnfirearms » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:32 am

Quality of brake pads vary widely amongst manufacturers. Changing to a better quality aftermarket pad should help. Also, how old is your brake fluid? Conventional fluid attracts moisture and this will affect braking ability. I'd recommend flushing out your entire braking system front and rear if it has been a few years since it has been done, if ever. One reason why I don't necessarily agree with major changes to the braking system is that I've not heard much complaint about GL brakes as a whole along the years. Of course, it is often easily possible to improve on OE, and sometimes completely practical to do so.

I try to adhere to the K.I.S.S. Principle especially when it comes to bikes and cars, "Keep it simple, stupid!". Go with what makes sense simply, pads and fluid. If this doesn't work, then look to the more complicated, and expensive.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:32 am

I changed the brake fluid last July and fitted new seals to the master cylinders. I used synthetic brake fluid which is not hydroscopic. The brake lines are in good condition. I've thought about fitting braided lines but
1. I fitted them to my Triumph and never noticed any difference.
2. Due to the braiding you cannot see if the line is perishing.

Yes I prefer to keep things simple, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but I would also like an emergency stopping distance that's slightly better than a supertanker.
EBC HH pads have been mooted but they're not that cheap. Also Pyramid Parts pads which are half the price of EBC which is great......if they do the job.

Sid

Sid

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:55 am

I've always used the EBC and thought they worked pretty well.Didn't think the price was bad either.Have you ever priced Honda pads?Now they're expensive.I pretty much ride 2-up always and never been in a position where the brakes didn't feel adequate.Saying all that I've been riding Wings for over 25 years so maybe if I'd just come off a sportbike I'd feel different.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

Sidcar

Postby Sidcar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:31 pm

It's the weight of the Oxford sidecar that makes the difference. It isn't braked which doesn't help and I'm searching for the appropriate parts but that brake will have to be operated from either the front to foot m/cylinders so I still need the best possible performance from the bike brakes. Also I could have new pads fitted in a couple of days where as I've been looking or s/car brake parts for some time.

Sid

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Postby peppilepew » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm

SBS brake pads are copper sintered. Scandinavian Brake Supply pads increased the stopping power of my brakes at least 50%. They can be noisy and possibly wear the rotors faster but they stop. They wern't all that much more than the stock options.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”