I have no brake light from ethier hand or foot brake

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Andrew28
Motorcycle: 1988 gl 1500

I have no brake light from ethier hand or foot brake

Postby Andrew28 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 am

I just bought my 1988 Goldwing my dream bike been waiting a long time to get this well not to long as Iam only 30yrs old but you know. Any way I took it to getinspected because it was bought out of state and that is when i noticed no brake lights. I have power to the fuse I also have switched relays around to see if that would help i do have a bad relay for the stop lights. But i use one that works the headlight and brake light still dont work. Taillights turn signals work evrything as it should. I dont know much at all about bike all i Knew is I wanted A Goldwing and now all I know is I gotta get this fixed Because spring will be here soon So if anyone can help me plz do> Note:I orderd a haynes service manual but i havent got it but will be here and anyday so if you need me to refer to that anywhere thanks Andrew

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: I have no brake light from ethier hand or foot brake

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 am

Did you check the light bulb? Sorry, but I had to ask.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:26 pm

yes i checked the bulbs only the two at bottom they are good.like i said all the tail lights work. Also i mean there are a lot of lights on the back and Iam not sure which one all light up. And i meann what is the chance they all be blown. I need to know what to track down from the relay cuz even with a good relay there still nothing

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Fist Haynes service manuals are rubish, if you ever follow it good luck.workshop manuals used to be the holy grail, but new ones are pish.

You need a multimeter and you can diagnose it in 2 mins from the relay socket. If there is a pin diagram on relay and you understand relays, takes away finding out what is what, but here is the what is what routine.
there are 4 spade slots for the relay

- 12v supply in
- Earth
- 12v out to the brake lights
- Switched earth from front and rear brake, operates relay sending 12v to the lights

1/ set meter to 12v connect black lead probe to earth , turn on ignition and push the red probe in the relay socket slots in turn until you get 12v signal, note slot and do not touch it again, ignition off. If you do not get 12 from any slot, problem is 12v supply between relay & fuse. if ok note 12v supply slot, do not touch again

2/ leave black probe earthed, ignition off, set meter to ohms, push red probe into other 3 slots in turn until you get earth signal, , if no earth signal, problem is relay is not earthed. If ok note earth slot do not touch again

3/ push red probe into one of the remaining 2 slots leave probe inserted and operate f and r brakes in turn with ignition on, if you get no earth signal when brakes are operated try last slot, if no earth signal from either slot when brakes are operated, problem is between the earth point and relay via switches, unlikely to be both switches, so could be the earth that goes to the switches, or from switches to the relay. If ok note negative switch slot.

4/ connect a wire with inline fuse to 12v, push other end into remaing slot, if brake lights work ok, if not, it is 12v from the relay to the brake lights
OR
brake light bulb holders are not earthed, to check this
4a/ remove panier brake light corner cover - 2 screws behind small chrome accent tabs on chrome accent strip, slide them across or flick off with a knife, pull out unitand unplug .
4b/ meter set to ohms, black probe lead earthed, connect red probe to green pin on the brake light connector, if you have earth signal
4c set meter to 12v connect red probe to green/yellow pin on the connector, ignition on, operate brake, you should not have 12v signal

Hope this makes sense, one of the easiest electrical faults to diagnose and fix on a 1500

Important for leads to have probes that will fit into all sockets, slots, pins etc and a sound contact is made with each probe lead, otherwise you risk misdiagnosing.
My meter has several sizes and type of probes that connect to the leads via push in connectors, easy DIY, they will connect with a plethora of terminals, slots, pins etc.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I want to thank you very much ( LegsandaWing ) first off for taking your time to write that out in detail for me i belave this is going to help me a ton with the problem I plan to work on it again this weekend with a freind who is a lot better with bikes than me I will give you a follow up this weekend.I have only one ? I dont know what a earth signal will be on the meter. I know some what how to work my meter but not all that well. Once again i thank you very much for your help I love this web site you guys help alot and i ve only been a member for a week.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm

What they call 'earth' over there, we call 'ground'. That should help you. Any reading from the earth or ground to any part of the frame should be zero ohms.

ImageImage

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Ok thanks Viking what is I get some numbers showing a reading what does that mean

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Use a small analogue meter if you can, the needle will move over to about 12v when testing for 12v. When testing resistance or connection, touch the probes together, the needle will move over to 0 ohms in pretty much the same way, if the needle does not move you have no 12v or no earth. If digital it will read about 12v when testing for 12v, or when set to ohms if the two probes are touched together whatever resistance is displayed will go down to about 0, same if you connect black probe to earth and touch red probe to a point you want to check for earth connection, if it is a good earth point the rdisplay will go down to about 0 as if the probes were touched together.

When testing for earth and you connect black probe to earth it is wise to check that the black probe has good earth connection. Touch the black probe probe with the red probe, as mentioned above should happen, then touch the red probe to whatever you have connected the black probe to, but do not touch the black probe, the needle should move or display will go to about 0, this will tell you if you have the black probe connected to a good earth point. I always do this.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:59 am

Andrew28 wrote:Ok thanks Viking what is I get some numbers showing a reading what does that mean

It means you do not have a good ground.

ImageImage

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for your guys help really appreciate it

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:14 am

Andrew28 wrote:I just bought my 1988 Goldwing my dream bike been waiting a long time to get this well not to long as Iam only 30yrs old but you know. Any way I took it to getinspected because it was bought out of state and that is when i noticed no brake lights. I have power to the fuse I also have switched relays around to see if that would help i do have a bad relay for the stop lights. But i use one that works the headlight and brake light still dont work. Taillights turn signals work evrything as it should. I dont know much at all about bike all i Knew is I wanted A Goldwing and now all I know is I gotta get this fixed Because spring will be here soon So if anyone can help me plz do> Note:I orderd a haynes service manual but i havent got it but will be here and anyday so if you need me to refer to that anywhere thanks Andrew

Incidentally, the Ohio "out of state inspection" is not actually an inspection - all they do is make sure the VIN label on the bike matches the VIN specified on the paperwork.

Andrew28

Postby Andrew28 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I fixed my problem with trhe brake light your information was very helpful all it was was a dirty contact in the relay box sprayed contact cleaner all over work great now

Big Blue UK

Postby Big Blue UK » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:14 am

Nice one chap, quick and easy fix. :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”