Water pump gasket replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Water pump gasket replacement

Postby liquineer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:00 am

I am starting a new thread for this- I have got down and tried photographing the front of the pump before draining the coolant taking all the pipe work off the front of the pump and getting at the four bolts holding the cover. I only managed one picture that showed the pump properly, but it is slightly blurry (having to hold camera at awkward angle). Having viewed the picture I can see that the pump does have quite a layer of crud on the lower surface, and the clamp screw looks quite rusted, so I'm hoping it will come off OK. I gave up all thoughts of trying to start today, despite the fact that the sun came out- it is barely above freezing just 6 centigrade (42 F) and after a short time of working in the garage on another task, my fingers went numb. See photo below for pump picture.

SO I take back what I said in my post on leaking coolant- it is pretty corroded.

As soon as I start on it, will post more photos.

Are we having fun yet?

gr8jeep
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Re: Water pump gasket replacement

Postby gr8jeep » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

While your waiting for better weather get yourself a can of PB Blaster or something like it and spray the bolts and the clamp and let that stuff start penetrating the corrosion , make it easier to remove stuff, good luck . :)

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:11 am

Thanks- yes already thinking of that- got some stuff from my local garage to spray on today .
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:43 pm

It has warmed up a little, just, so I drained the coolant out yesterday- there is a small drain bolt just beneath the water pump, and then I allowed the liquid to drip out overnight after the main first gush of fluid.
Began the removal of the four bolts today and took a few photographs as I went along- I apologise for the quality of some of them as I was lying on the floor and pointing in the general direction of the pump and taking pictures, then looking at the screen, cursing a little when I did not get the centering quite right and taking more shots.

Front hose and bolts removed.

Front cover off- showing remains of previous jointing material which was cleaned off

Pump cover and gasket-looking quite flattened

Cover bolts, two identical short, one medium and one long

new gasket in the profile shape of the pump cover

About to apply the Permatex No 2 gasket sealant- very sticky stuff this-got all over my gloves!
Laid gasket in to it, and encouraged the permatex over the metal mating surface.

New bolts installed and tightened up

Water hose and drain bolt installed.

Left it all overnight to allow sealant to bed in before refilling with coolant and starting up and hoping for no leaks - still got to empty the reserve tank out, and add new Prestone coolant 50/50 blend to that as well!

More to come after testing the system-if it is succesful you will her the whoop from where you are!
Are we having fun yet?

gr8jeep
Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Postby gr8jeep » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya over here in upstate NY !

Larrs2
Motorcycle: GL 1200
GL 1500
VLX 600

Postby Larrs2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Only use Honda antifreeze or a antifreeze that does not have cleaning agents in it or you
will lose your water pump! The cleaning agent are abrasive to the pump seals and will destroy it.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:47 am

I have obtained the anti-freeze recommended by other Goldwingers in the UK- no silicates or anything else, just ethylene glycol and water, pre-diluted. I made sure I asked for advice before ordering it, so it should be OK.
Are we having fun yet?

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:45 am

Did you hear the whoop?

Had a minor worry when fluid was dripping on the floor, but it was not from the pump, for despite being careful in the adding of the fluid to the radiator, I must have had an air bubble hold up, and some fluid came over the top of the radiator from the funnel I think- this ran down some of the frame and dripped on to the floor. There was nothing from the pump though after running the engine for longer than the time it had when it leaked previously, and the liquid which bubbled out stopped dripping- just hope it is not eating anything on the frame.

I had numb fingers again after clearing everything up- decided to leave the panels off for the moment, may well do an oil change as well, as the oil filter is exposed- I was told the bike was serviced before I it last year, but I don't have any documents to say what was done, so might as well change the oil as it is to cold for me to ride yet. We are hoping for higher temperatures in the coming week, but still on the cold side.
The UK had it's second coldest March since current weather keeping records began. 1947 and 1973 were colder and equally as cold as last month.
Are we having fun yet?

Larrs2
Motorcycle: GL 1200
GL 1500
VLX 600

Postby Larrs2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 am

if its a new bike to you you may want to ck the timing belts or better yet just change them now that you have some plastic off.

liquineer

Postby liquineer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:16 am

I did think about the timing belts- was a bit daunted by what needs doing, even with the excellent how to artcile done on this- I have a near neighbour who has had Goldwings for years, but is a very busy mobile car motor mechanic, and I was thinking of asking him for some help, but not sure if I want to interfere with his time at present- he works all hours in cold, snow rain and sun, and he did lend me his Honda Service manual, so was able to see how to do the water pump repair. If I do do it, I will definitly wait until it warms up- I would like to get the bike outside on the drive so there is more room to work around it, but with the strong winds and just above freezing temperatures we have been getting, I will wait.
Are we having fun yet?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 am

Looks like a job well done... :D
The Permatex seems works well to seal small pits in the metal that would otherwise tend to weep.

Good job.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”