This will make you shake your head....!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bjatwood
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

This will make you shake your head....!

Postby bjatwood » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:15 pm

OK guys and gals,
Did alot of maintenance on the GL1500 this winter. Wanted to wait until this spring to change the final drive fluid after I had rode it and warmed up the fluid for draining. OK rode it on Saturday, got home and drained the BLACK smelly fluid out. Put the drain bolt back on and tried to figure out home in the heck I'm going to refill the pumpkin. Could NOT get a funel into the hole, so I had the brainstorm I would just pump it into the housing. Got out a spray bottle added the hypoid oil, took the end off the spray nozzle and pumped it a few times. Good flow out of the bottle, this will work great I THOUGHT! until I didn't realize there was another part on the end of the spray nozzle..and of course it went INTO the final drive housing while I aqueezed the fluid in....dohhhh. So I guess I will be pulling the rear wheel and greasing the splines while I'm at it...ugh what a stupid move on my part. But I'm gonna make Lemonade out of the Lemons here and look at my rear brake pads and grease the splines after I clean the old smelly grease off the slines and get the "piece of plastic OUT of the final drive" I used the swing the bags and trunk method up and over to access the wheel so far. My question is on the 27mm axle nut on the right side is it standard threads "righty tighty..... lefty loosy" or reverse threading..? Hope this lesson will teach someone not how to do it, but better yet, buy a gear pump for the new gear lube going in and a hose.

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Re: This will make you shake your head....!

Postby bjatwood » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Also, what have you all done to replace the "plastic boot" on the bottom of the air shock? Mine has some cracks and has seperated in a couple spots too. Can I buy a new boot somewhere for this application?
Thanks

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Okay... Here is an advice, which I do not normally give, because it usually backfires. Get yourself one of those condiment squeeze bottles with the nozzle top that screws on. The kind you can buy at kitchen places for ketchup and mustard. Put your Hypoid oil in there, and then squeeze it into the final drive. This same kind of bottle is sold with the oil inside for outboard motor final drive refilling, is where I got the idea.

Second idea ... get a length of that soft clear plastic tubing and drill a hole in your Gear oil bottle cap just a tiny bit smaller than the tubing. Force the tubing at least an inch through the cap and screw the cap back on with the longer end of tubing sticking out to lead into the final drive.

Both of these have worked for me.

Man I hate Hypoid Gear oil all over everything including the driveway - :twisted:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Good ideas I should have thought a little deeper on the bottle I used...too many parts! LOL

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:16 am

Every bottle of gear oil I have purchased has a tapered spout on the lid. Connect the hose to the spout and squirt away.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

You can get a pump like this at just about any marine shop. They work great.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

amsoilguy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:55 am

bjatwood wrote:but better yet, buy a gear pump for the new gear lube going in and a hose.

Another solution:
Hand Pump
Which fits these:
Quart
Allan

'88 GL1500

TennX
Motorcycle: 97 GL 1500 Aspencade
06 VTX 1300R

Postby TennX » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 pm

I use amsoil gear oil, it doesnt come in a tapered bottle, but I transfer it too one and use the tubing...turkey baster will work also..I also add a little kalgard moly to the mix....good luck
Phil.......

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:32 pm

You should know that you cannot get to the inside (gears) of the rear drive just by taking the wheel off. Opening that final drive is a fairly intensive task, and you'll need some new o-rings as part of the reassembly process. Are you sure you can't manage to fish that piece out of there?

Also, have a look at the GL1500 How-To articles, there are articles on refilling the final drive, removing the wheel, and lubricating the splines.

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I know I can't get "into" the final drive. I just want to be able to move it around to shake out the darn plastic spray bottle inner tip. I believe I can get it "moving" with a bit of shaking which is impossible with it on the bike...with the gooey old gear lube and such :o And, I will be buying one of the screw it on a quart hand pumps also, You can put money on that!

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:50 pm

On the air shock boot I went with this....
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0035

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 am

OK guys and Gals,
I got most of the "repair" done last night. All that is left is to lower the bags-n-trunk assembly.
Looking back at this "mistake" I am glad I made it!
As the splines were so dry that had actually started to have surface rust. And my Moly paste job looked a bit like Scott's "HowTo" pic when I was done with it. ;) Shock boot worked perfectly and all is back together. I just HAD to start it up without my mufflers on it, so I cranked her up!
WOW Honda should have gone without the mufflers....LOL
We could of "outlouded" the Harley guys with this setup... 8-)
Took me about a 1.5 hours to get the bags swung up out of the way (1st time) and appoximitely 2 hours to clean and reinstall/remove :oops: the part. So If I had to pay for the "repair" at the shop at 80 bucks an hours I would have been looking at 300.00 bucks with taxes on it. I got away with the repair for 13.51. So I think I'm gonna buy some cold one's tonight and spray wax it. Cause tomorrow is supposed to be close to 70f in Omaha and the bike and I will be rolling!!

baumedagn
Motorcycle: 2012
GL1800HPNM

Postby baumedagn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:03 am

I ran into a similar situation last year. I didn't realize the little plastic cap was on the gear oil and in the differential it went. After realizing that fishing around with my finger and cussing at the thing wasn't going to work, I used my air compressor and blew air in through the drain hole. A few short bursts and the cap found itself in a spot that I could get at. I don't know if it was dumb luck or genius but it worked for me and I didn't have to disassemble everything.

bjatwood
1973 CB750 K3
1970 CT70-HKO

Postby bjatwood » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Wow that was a nice move with the air! Never gave that a thought... might of saved me some work. But I'm glad I took it apart, and got all the moly grease on those splines, it needed it. But the real kicker was putting it back together was a total Pain in the Arse. When I swung the trunk/bag assembly down to bolt it in place there is major adjusting going on trying to get the split fork for the saddlebag framing in line with the saddle bag step bumper guard hole AND finding the hole in the frame +++ putting the bolt in thru the hole inside of the saddlebag. This is a two man job and some speaking of the tongue here let me tell ya. And here is a little tip for you all if you swing the bags up and over and back down... The whole assembly has a slight uplift to it, it will not just bolt in place with it bottomed out. The back has to come up about a half a inch for it all to line up! That is a 2 hour lesson my friends! :twisted:

Greenwinger
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE
Pearl Green and Beautiful

Postby Greenwinger » Mon May 02, 2016 7:50 pm

bjatwood wrote:Wow that was a nice move with the air! Never gave that a thought... might of saved me some work. But I'm glad I took it apart, and got all the moly grease on those splines, it needed it. But the real kicker was putting it back together was a total Pain in the Arse. When I swung the trunk/bag assembly down to bolt it in place there is major adjusting going on trying to get the split fork for the saddlebag framing in line with the saddle bag step bumper guard hole AND finding the hole in the frame +++ putting the bolt in thru the hole inside of the saddlebag. This is a two man job and some speaking of the tongue here let me tell ya. And here is a little tip for you all if you swing the bags up and over and back down... The whole assembly has a slight uplift to it, it will not just bolt in place with it bottomed out. The back has to come up about a half a inch for it all to line up! That is a 2 hour lesson my friends! :twisted:

Ya I tried the "swing up" method once had the same luck as you trying to reinstall it. I just find it easier now to remove the saddle bags. :D

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”