1994 GL1500 SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DEBERWEIN
Motorcycle: 1993 Gl1500i upgrading to aspencade...

1994 GL1500 SE

Postby DEBERWEIN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Got a great deal on 1994 GL100 SE but it has been sitting for 15 years. I pulled the carbs and chem dipped and reassembled. replaced several vacuum lines. Bike starts and idle. But dies as soon as crack the throttle. What Should I look for next?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: 1994 GL1500 SE

Postby ct1500 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Check fuel delivery system, fuel pump (test per manual) and filter, auto fuel valve. Is valve getting vacuum and will valve hold vacuum, is valve opening completely allowing full fuel flow. Any problems with the above will limit flow to carbs.

Then it will be back into the carbs for plugged passages, inop. slides/diaphragms, accelerator pump etc. etc.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

DEBERWEIN

Postby DEBERWEIN » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 pm

I will double check fuel delivery.

I replace diaphrams and accelerator pump when I did the rebuild of carbs.
I can baby the bike at low speed and once up to speed it seems to run good.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 pm

And pull the spark plugs, if they are white as a ghost you know its lean.

You might want to do a quick ign. and weak cylinder check.

The shade tree mechanics way to engine diagnosis:

Will start off on the premise of an otherwise well running and properly maintained engine and has developed a driveability concern. Filters and plugs have been changed at regular intervals. This is a first check of basic systems that anyone can do.

First off is to check the ignition system. With the bike warmed up and idling on centerstand remove and replace one plug wire at a time from the spark plugs. What we want to observe here is a uniform idle RPM drop when the wire is removed providing no ignition to that cylinder. At this same time we are also testing the plug wires. While slowly removing the wire from plug you will hear a distinct snapping noise of the spark jumping to the plug. It should jump from 1/2-1 inch, this tells us the wires are good with no excess resistance. In rare cases the plug will only fire with the wire partly disconnected adding RPM and is likely due to a fouled plug.

Next up is to remove the spark plugs noting their condition and location within the engine. Note the condition of the plugs below which were taken from my 1500 when acquired with no driveability concerns except a release start type of turning over. Plug gaps were on the wide side. These could have been original twenty two year old plugs as the bike had only thirty thousand on the odometer and I was still going through it with frequent starts and idling. Note the two inner plugs (cyls.3&4) look like they have been running slightly hotter or leaner than the others. This is due in part because inner cylinders on an engine will typically run hotter than the ones on the corners. Note these same cylinders are the ones the vacuum hoses are attached to in the runners which could also contribute to the slight difference. All white or all black plugs on one side usually indicate carburetor problems. If you suspect a bad plug you can swap it with another and repeat to see if the problem follows the plug.
Attachments
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Peppyone1955
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500A Aspencade

Postby Peppyone1955 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Just a thought but if bike has been sitting for fifteen years you might want to check & see that the exhaust has no restrictions. The little rodants like to build nests up in there on occasion. Had this happen to me one winter. Bike would start and run but didnt want to rev up properly. Cleaned out exhaust & problem solved. Just my 2-cents.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:29 pm

And the olde favourite of here - Change the belts! If it has been sitting that long, they may be a bit ordinary by now. Also, some Seafoam might improve your 'go with the flow'.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

DEBERWEIN

Postby DEBERWEIN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:36 am

I would like to thank everyone for the valuable input

I went ahead and replaced timing belts tension pulleys.
I replaced most of the rubber- vacuum and coolant lines.

I finally took the bike to a local Goldwing guy, he pulled the carbs and went through them again and said that I had missed a clogged port.

Got it on the road just in time to do a little around test drives before heading out on 5 day road trip.
Bike operated flawlessly.....

Thank you all again for the suggestions and tips

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”