Modified Cruise Control worked

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
deanboivin
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Goldwing SE

Modified Cruise Control worked

Postby deanboivin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 am

I completed the Cruise Control Modification and decided to post to describe to others how to remove the pins easily since many posts were about the difficulty. I found this simple solution when adding cruise to my Smart Car.

This page had the clearest photo description on where the Cruise Control harness is located:

http://bobsold.goldwingfacts.com/wingcruisecontrol.html

Pull the connectors apart, the two wires are in the third and fourth position. To remove the pin connectors you'll need a pair of pliers and just simply a few staples from a heavy duty staple gun. Straighten a staple, using the pliers, push the staple between the plastic housing and the pin. You have to use a bit of force, but the pin and wire will release and push right out of the connector. Once you have both wires pushed out of the connector, simply swap positions and push right back into the connector. Reassemble and ride. Remember, you're not pushing the staple inside the metal connector where the male part would insert, it's above that area that releases the little tab.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Re: Modified Cruise Control worked

Postby liquineer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 am

Looked at the web link- it appears to have an error that stops you going any further in the description of how to swap the pins- did you find this same error? It is after the two pictures under "last update May 9th 2002"
Are we having fun yet?

deanboivin

Postby deanboivin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:07 am

Any version of this website page that I found shows that error message. I just swapped the pins and reconnected them and drove it. Probably one of the simplest mods I've done.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

I was finding that as well with other pages, considering it is 11 years since that update, I don't suppose that is surprising.
thanks

martin
Are we having fun yet?

deanboivin

Postby deanboivin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Martin, I ran the bike 180 miles today, worked like a charm. The only difference is that when you set the cruise, it will drop the speed momentarily but then accelerate right back to where I set it. Of all the mods I've done, this is the one I wanted the most but didn't even realize there was an easy fix. It's perfect for my long distance highway trips where my shoulder injury would become bothersome.... Happy riding.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Just did this mod to mine today, took less than 5 mins and works like a charm. I wish all the mods I do were this easy 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

deanboivin

Postby deanboivin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

RoadRogue wrote:Just did this mod to mine today, took less than 5 mins and works like a charm. I wish all the mods I do were this easy 8-)

I agree totally. All those miles to New England and the Smoky Mountains last year would have been a bit easier if I had known then..... LOL

2manywings
Motorcycle: '76s,'78,'83s,'84s,'85s,'88s,'89,'01,'04s (the list is ever changing...2manywings)

Postby 2manywings » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I don't know about you guys that can never go fast enough. It's enough to give a good mechanic a stroke. Just kidding Dean. LOL Great job! I'm proud of ya! Tim

deanboivin

Postby deanboivin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:06 pm

LMBO I'd be happy to come show you how to modify yours! Haha

2manywings
Motorcycle: '76s,'78,'83s,'84s,'85s,'88s,'89,'01,'04s (the list is ever changing...2manywings)

Postby 2manywings » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm out of control enough as it is! But stop by some time... I'd be interested in seeing it. Sold my sidecar rig and am now tooling on that '04 that i picked up last summer. Did many upgrades including going "Double Darkside" what a difference! You'll have to try it out. Time to check my blood pressure and medicate myself... Life is grand. Sorry all for getting off the subject.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”