GL1500 driving Lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
papa47
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A

GL1500 driving Lights

Postby papa47 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 am

I want to add a set of driving lights. All the replacement cornering lights I've seen are badly reviewed for bulb failure. Does anyone know if the halogen light bar BB2422 fairing mount from wingstuff, is too much for the stock electrical system, or would I have to relays/ballast/ect., or even worse, require a higher output alternator? thnx Jim

newday777
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: GL1500 driving Lights

Postby newday777 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:17 am

First off, what year 1500?

Any driving light other than LED will be too much draw at idle for the stock alternator. At highway speeds the stock alt will handle two 35 Watt bulbs in driving lights. You would have to switch the driving lights off when volts are below 13.5 v on your dash mounted voltmeter, you will need one if you don't have a dash mounted voltmeter so you don't run your battery dead.

Bi xenon HID headlight change out with slim ballast at 35 watts will give more light than you will need and draw less current than the stock halogen bulbs at 55/65 Watts. Then you could add good driving lights like PIAA rather than the ones you listed for much better light down the road, which what you want driving lights to do.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:39 am

Your bike will handle it if you have a decent AGM battery. They were one of the 1st items I installed on my bike, as I do quite a bit of night riding. Never had any problem with them, but I wouldn't want to run any other added on electrical accessory with them on at the same time, at idle. Riding on the highway will be no problem.

I wired then up to a LED toggle switch and then to an accessory fuse block, wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse and triggered by a 30 amp relay. (Read this to use as a guide on how to do that)

When I decided to add more electrical accessories, I installed a Compu-Fire alternator to handle the increased electrical demand of my present electrical goodies/additional lights on my bike.

PIAA also make a H3 Halogen bulb that has the output equal to a 70w bulb, but only uses 35 w

Dusty

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:39 am

I will start with some informationa and disclaimers -
I have a Compufire Alternator and it works very well-
I wanted more light in the front as I drive through deer country at night in the fall on my commute fro work each day.
I am "frugal" - some call me cheap...
So I used a Chrome fairing trim as the mount by bending the wrap around wings forward and mounted some 55 watt Burners I found at Wal*mart for about $20. I used a relay and added an LED switch to turn them off & on.
They work great and I have them aimed as follows: Right side up & outward toward the ditch to illuminate the creatures before they jump in front of me..and the left side lower and forward more so as to not blind oncoming traffic..
Here are some pictures of the install process...

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

papa47
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A

Postby papa47 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:15 pm

thnx everyone. My bike is 1991 Aspencade. I saw the piaa but thought they might be too much. I like the info but primarily want others to see me during the daylight hours, not too keen on night driving, here in upstate NY, lots of deer and other critters, and stinkers too. thnx again everyone. not sure which way to go, more research I guess.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 am

papa47 wrote:. I like the info but primarily want others to see me during the daylight hours, not too keen on night driving, here in upstate NY, lots of deer and other critters, and stinkers too. thnx again everyone. not sure which way to go, more research I guess.

:idea: Then just make up a bracket from some flat stock (TSC) and attach it to under the fairing and run some LEDs instead of 55W incandescent, as they will give you the effect you want, with little power consumption.;

Lots of deer/bear/moose and critters out at night up this way too, which is the main reason for my driving lamps! ;)

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”