LED Spoiler Problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dayta
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Interstate

LED Spoiler Problem

Postby Dayta » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey Guys,

When I bought my 96 Interstate last year it did not come with a running/brake light spoiler. Sooo, I bought one for $195 from Cyclemax " http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... ler/83/763 ". It came already primed and ready for painting. I had it painted to match the bike then had it installed by my mechanic. The problem for me is that the running/brake light is no where bright enough like ones I've seen on other GW's, which made me wonder about the installation. I asked and the mechanic spliced into the left running/brake light on the trunk which seems normal to me.
My question is could there be something missing in the connection to cause the lights to burn dim? Should there be a resister, dioid or something to increase the wattage to the LED's ??

Thanks for any responses.
Dayta

Dayta
GWRRA #360830

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Re: LED Spoiler Problem

Postby trike lady » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:07 pm

If the spoiler had 3 wires; one would be a ground, there would be another with an in-line resistor on the running light side and no resistor on the brake light side.
You'd want the running lights dimmer than the brake lights and that is why the resistor is used.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 1998 Goldwing SE

Postby ka4yqi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm

Did it come with one of these?
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/led_dua ... /129/83939
The the SE comes with a little box that does it. This the cheap way to do it.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 am

The resistor for the running light is built into the LED panel. The LED panel detatches from the spoiler, chop the wires in the trunk noting connections, you can solder them back or fit a 3 pin micro plug. Wire up the panel direct, if it has a problem contact Cyclemax or Big Bike Parts who produce the LED panel. At least you are not in the UK. I would be seperating the panel to fit my own LED's, as spend weeks and weeks getting it replaced. If it were me it would be cheaper in the long run for BBP to just send me one. because it functions as it is supposed to but just dim, it does seem to point to poor quality LED panel or it is as bright as it is designed to be, but dimmer than they used to be or should be.

I did the same with the trunk side light panels. Unlike the saddlebag lights that have screws holding the two halves together, the trunk lights are sealed and cannot be seperated (yeh right like that was going to stop me). I cut around the seam with a Dremel, fitted two led strips in each I made up myself and glued them back together
The panel is available
10-485 REPLACEMENT LEDTrunk Spoiler - Dual FunctionFits GL1500/6 ModelsKit $69

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/Inventory/N ... catalogNo=
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Dayta

Postby Dayta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:08 pm

ka4yqi wrote:Did it come with one of these?
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/led_dua ... /129/83939
The the SE comes with a little box that does it. This the cheap way to do it.

No, it didn't come with that dual conversion harness. The mechanic and I both figured it wasn't necessary because it was a three wire setup. However, since I do have a spare conversion harness in, what I call my GW box (A box that's full of the OEM parts that I replaced with after market accessories), I'm gonna redo the wiring that the mechanic did and see if that makes a difference.

Dayta
Dayta
GWRRA #360830

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Dayta wrote:However, since I do have a spare conversion harness in, what I call my GW box (A box that's full of the OEM parts that I replaced with after market accessories), I'm gonna redo the wiring that the mechanic did and see if that makes a difference.Dayta

You do not want to be wiring in a second resistor in series, you will make things worse, you need to remove the panel
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 pm

If you received the added harness with the resistor, you wire the resistor side to the running lights to cut the brightness and the other wire goes straight through for the brake lights and the lights should brighten.

Shows the replacement light with adapter harness.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Dayta

Postby Dayta » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:36 am

LegsandaWing wrote:The resistor for the running light is built into the LED panel. The LED panel detatches from the spoiler, chop the wires in the trunk noting connections, you can solder them back or fit a 3 pin micro plug. Wire up the panel direct, if it has a problem contact Cyclemax or Big Bike Parts who produce the LED panel.

So you're saying I should take the light panel off the spoiler itself, then wire it straight to the truck lighting. If it doesn't brighten up there's a problem with the built in resistor?

If it is a resistor problem, can't the dual conversion harness solve that problem? Maybe I'm thinking too hard and confusing myself.

Dayta

I hear you @ Trike Lady

Dayta
GWRRA #360830

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”