Instrument Panel Help

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
karvor
Motorcycle: GL1500 SE

Instrument Panel Help

Postby karvor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi all,
During the replacement of insrument panel bulbs I have lost or possibly the dog has eaten the orange right turn indicator lens which sits in the black facia and has a small arrow on it.
I can't find any pictures or part ref. numbers.
Can anyone help please.
Thank you.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Instrument Panel Help

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Sorry,I don't have anything here.
If it's any help,I too lost my green neutral lens.Out of desperation,I found a piece of plastic that I cut to fit.10 days later it showed up on the floor of my shop.
I guess the "little people" were playing with it.

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: Instrument Panel Help

Postby Sempai » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Hmm, I don't see them critters on the parts fiche!
Here's what I would do:
Take the other turn signal indicator lens out and take it to Hobby Lobby or some such place where you can get a pane of colored plexiglass of somewhat similar thickness to the lens. Choose your color well, you're not likely to find a color that will match the lens' color perfectly, so you'll make a new lens for BOTH indcators. Cut the plexi to the proper dimensions. Put a piece of painter's tape to cover both sides of both your new lenses. Exacto knife to cut the shape of your left/right arrows into the tape on the front face of each lens. On the front sides only, remove the rest of the tape, leaving the tape arrows on the fronts and the whole backsides still covered in tape. Use any acrylic enamel spray paint, black probably, and spray the front sides, give them a coupla coats to ensure generous and thorough coverage. AFTER the paint is good and dry, remove the tape arrows and the tape from the backsides. Install your new lenses.
I used this technique to make an indicator lens my LED system, I used clear plexi so I could see what color my LEDs were on (multicolored system.) I'll try to find a picture to post so you can see the results...
Well, I couldn't find a picture, but here's a video. Please forgive me for the quality, it is a cellphone video In person, the letters "LED" are quite clear and legible:
[youtube]

[/YouTube]
Keep the rubber side down.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”