Vibration


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
noeleo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: Desha, AR
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Vibration

Postby noeleo » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 pm



I own a 1989 GL1500 as shown in my avatar. When I purchased this machine 3-31-12, I had a serious vibration above 75 mph. (Hardly ever need to go that fast.) I attributed that to the tires, as they were mildly cupped, and cupping got steadily worse. I put 11,000 miles on it and wore out the tires. After the installation of new tires and the addition of Dyna Beads, the above 75 vibration is still there. It seems to be worse above 80. I also have a different vibration, more of a quiver, when rolling off the throttle as when you just get to a "cruise". This one comes in above 60. I am thinking the universal joint is loose or severely worn, but just don't know the proper diagnostic procedure other than disassembly. Anyone with suggestions?

I am not sure how to take it apart that far. Is there a posted procedure? I called myself looking through the How-To listings, but didn't find it.


Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Vibration

Postby ct1500 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 pm

noeleo wrote:I own a 1989 GL1500 as shown in my avatar. When I purchased this machine 3-31-12, I had a serious vibration above 75 mph. (Hardly ever need to go that fast.) I attributed that to the tires, as they were mildly cupped, and cupping got steadily worse. I put 11,000 miles on it and wore out the tires. After the installation of new tires and the addition of Dyna Beads, the above 75 vibration is still there.

We can pretty much eliminate tires as the cause seeing as how the vibration did not change with the wearing of the old set and is still there with installation of new and no change in severity. Where is the vibration felt, bars, pegs, seat or is it really a high speed wobble?

noeleo wrote: I also have a different vibration, more of a quiver, when rolling off the throttle as when you just get to a "cruise". This one comes in above 60. I am thinking the universal joint is loose or severely worn, but just don't know the proper diagnostic procedure other than disassembly.

When you purposely feather the throttle to find the spot in the driveline where power is neither applied nor removed is technically called "float" and will never happen with cruise control engaged for instance. All tolerances are then combined from gear set in trans to drive wheel which includes drive shaft, final drive gear set, final drive to driven hub and lastly hub to wheel. When totaled together it can display a slight characteristic that is noticeable to the rider. My ride has that slight buzz when "floated" at high speed since I got it and has stayed constant with no worsening.

With that written some have found a slight misalignment of u joint to yoke when manufactured causing an out of balance condition of the drive shaft which shows up when floated.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

User avatar
noeleo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: Desha, AR
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Re: Vibration

Postby noeleo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am

ct1500 wrote: Where is the vibration felt, bars, pegs, seat or is it really a high speed wobble?


It shakes the whole bike. Rather violently. Wouldn't want to ride it long shaking as it does. Definitely not like a high speed wobble. Even though I do not make a habit of driving 80, I would like to be able to drive that fast on the interstate if needed. Just don't feel safe doing it as it is.

ct1500 wrote: My ride has that slight buzz when "floated" at high speed since I got it and has stayed constant with no worsening.


Yes, the floating is when it does it. When I previously stated "cruise" that is really what I meant. Just couldn't find that word. It is when it seems that all the load, either positive or negative, is off the drive train.
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

User avatar
Sempai
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:30 am
Location: Wichita, KS
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE
Contact:

Re: Vibration

Postby Sempai » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 am

After reading the comments of this tread, I'm liking the driveshaft as a suspect...not necessarily that anything is BAD with it, but that the U-joints on each end are out of time with each other. Having been through advanced automotive steering, suspension, and brakes courses, as well as Vibrations diagnostics and corrections, I can offer some tips in this department.
There is not one single suspension problem that causes a vibration, so there is no need to concern yourself with forks, shocks, or swingarm travel.
The u-joints are not likely to be loose or froze up, these conditions tend to cause a vibration during acceleration or while maintaining speed (while on the throttle.) U-joint vibrations will be noticeable under throttle conditions and will noticeably go away when the throttle is released.
HOWEVER, the u-joints on opposing ends of a single shaft ought to be timed to each other. Out of timed u-joints can wreak havoc and tends to be noticeable...whenever the shaft is rotating.

All this being said, you haven't mentioned anything about your brakes. Does the vibration change with the application of front brake or rear brake? IF it changes, does it go away or get worse?

Here are some pics of the u-joint timing. First a pic of poorly timed joints, second of pic of properly timed joints:

Keep the rubber side down.

User avatar
noeleo
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: Desha, AR
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 A Aspencade Sadly wrecked 2-25-12

1989 Honda GoldWing GL1500

Re: Vibration

Postby noeleo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 am

Sempai wrote:After reading the comments of this tread, I'm liking the driveshaft as a suspect...not necessarily that anything is BAD with it, but that the U-joints on each end are out of time with each other. Having been through advanced automotive steering, suspension, and brakes courses, as well as Vibrations diagnostics and corrections, I can offer some tips in this department.
There is not one single suspension problem that causes a vibration, so there is no need to concern yourself with forks, shocks, or swingarm travel.
The u-joints are not likely to be loose or froze up, these conditions tend to cause a vibration during acceleration or while maintaining speed (while on the throttle.) U-joint vibrations will be noticeable under throttle conditions and will noticeably go away when the throttle is released.
HOWEVER, the u-joints on opposing ends of a single shaft ought to be timed to each other. Out of timed u-joints can wreak havoc and tends to be noticeable...whenever the shaft is rotating.

All this being said, you haven't mentioned anything about your brakes. Does the vibration change with the application of front brake or rear brake? IF it changes, does it go away or get worse?

Here are some pics of the u-joint timing. First a pic of poorly timed joints, second of pic of properly timed joints:
drive shaft timing 3a.png

drive shaft timing 5.jpg



Thanks, Sempai for the comments. I, too, have had many hours of training as such. Twenty years as an ASE certified Master Auto Technician. Only a couple of years wrenching on these machines, though.
Since I can only find ONE ujoint, hopefully timing is not an issue. I ran into a class 8 truck once that was two notches out and it shook like a dog sh*%ting peach seeds. My machine shakes pretty bad, but not that bad.
As far as the swing arm, I read somewhere that I would have to remove it to remove the ujoint. Hope not, but I am getting prepared for that. Guess I will be buying some specialized toos for this job. If it will last throught the "riding season", I will tear it down in the winter, what little there is here.
Ride your GoldWing no faster than your angel can fly.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Vibration

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 am

The Admin had a vibration on his bike too...He found that with just a little brake pressure it would stop....It was related to a loosing of the caliper hydraulics and the caliper was rattling about.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10975&start=75

Also check the steering bearings,wheel bearings too.

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Vibration

Postby ct1500 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:11 pm

A couple more things to check first. When up to vibration speed note RPM. At vibration speed does throttle position change vibration at all? accel., decel. or steady power make a difference. Run it up to vibration speed on the center stand via tach. apply a little foot brake on and off, can you get the vibration and when? Can you get the vibration in 4th on the road at the vibration RPM felt in 5th? Pull in the clutch at vibration speed on the road and let engine idle, what happens?

The bike is silky smooth until the high speed vibration right, and comes on all of a sudden or does it start somewhere slower and builds up.


This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM


Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RoadRogue, thesprinklerguy1960 and 7 guests