What material?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

What material?

Postby hap2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm

What is the name of this part?  What material is it?  Need to know so I can glue it back on.  It snaps in 2 or 3 places & only one "snap' works.  Thank you.
What is the name of this part? What material is it? Need to know so I can glue it back on. It snaps in 2 or 3 places & only one "snap' works. Thank you.
Can anybody recognize this piece of a 1500? (I iused Paint to outline it in black.) It's just above where the right highway peg goes & it just snaps in. The only thing is, mine is broken & I want to know a couple of things about it:

What material is it? (Would like to know so i can get a good glue to secure it back on the bike)

What is the actual name of the part?

Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing SE

Re: What material?

Postby vtxcandyred » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 am

I don't know what the piece is called BUT there is a screw that will hold the piece on. There should be a screw hole on the bottom of the piece on the drivers side. That side is not shown in the picture. The piece is made of abs plastic and I used a piece of abs plastic pipe and heated and flattened it then shaped it to glue on the back and it worked like a champ. Just be sure to use abs plastic and abs cement.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:16 am

That part is called a "Deflector", (part # 17) has 2 mounting tabs (upper and lower) and is also attached by a screw hidden under a plug cap through a molded hole of the deflector, (Scott has a good shot of it - HERE) into a J-clip inside the bottom fairing, near the bottom air duct vent. As stated, it is made of ABS.

Cyclemax sells a chrome replacement, if you can't fix it.
They also sell a narrower set which adds more comfort, while using highway boards/pegs

Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade Now a Trike
1975 Cb750K sold

Postby WA9FWT » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Looks like you have your answers too your questions. I think we all for get our Wing -Adm has implemented
a SEARCH box in the upper right on corner on each page, and all we have to do is type in a few words and it will take you too all the DIY articles.It goes back to day one which is great. lot of articles on ABS material. I use it often :D :D

Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Thu May 02, 2013 4:19 pm

IF you glue it in place you will be unable to remove it in th efuture without breaaking something.
It needs to come off to remove the lowers and get to the side light bulbs and some of the engine components and filters.
Repair the piece or replace it with a new one but don't glue it on permanently... :o

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”