wing mirrors

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hot-cur
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500se

wing mirrors

Postby hot-cur » Fri May 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi all just wondering has anyone ever changed the mirrors (glass itself) and has anyone got any handy tips for removing and replacing the mirror itself unfortunately I some how managed to break the glass on mine trying to remove it and although I can get a new I don't won't to do the same again ( I won't to re spray the case and was trying to remove the glass) Thanks for the help

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: wing mirrors

Postby cbx4evr » Fri May 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I got my bike and it had aftermarket chrome mirrors. PO had the glass break and it was cheaper to buy the chrome. I have the colour matched mirrors and bought a used mirror with the intention of removing the glass and putting it in mine. No such luck. I broke the glass trying to remove it. Not sure how it's held in. I should have tried heating it up as it may be glued. So far I haven't found a way to do it.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Postby Big Blue UK » Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm

You can follow sevreal how to's such as winshield replacement that start with removing miror trims, then just unscrew the mirror
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

hot-cur

Postby hot-cur » Sat May 04, 2013 5:54 am

cbx4evr wrote:I got my bike and it had aftermarket chrome mirrors. PO had the glass break and it was cheaper to buy the chrome. I have the colour matched mirrors and bought a used mirror with the intention of removing the glass and putting it in mine. No such luck. I broke the glass trying to remove it. Not sure how it's held in. I should have tried heating it up as it may be glued. So far I haven't found a way to do it.

Hi cbx4evr thanks for the reply found out that you can't replace with mirror (have to buy new or scrap part.. ie full mirror and shell) tired glazer but no luck but you can use the cut-out and stick on but I don't think it looks good enough for a goldwing myself so looks like I may start saving to buy a new one.... but thanks for coming back to me with some info it all helps hot-cur

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Postby wingpilot08 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:39 am

Found on another GW site...

"It is not easy but if there are 2 of you and you heat up the black plastic edge that holds the mirror in place and use a flat piece of hard plastic, i.e. snow scraper, knife, old credit card etc. and slowly prey the edge and lift and pull the mirror glass out.
It can be done.

Need to have a couple of heat guns or hair dryers. Be careful you don't damage the plastic edge. Start softening the plastic edge and here is where the other person comes into picture. They need to keep the plastic edge really warm whilst you work on removing the mirror glass.
Just ask them not to keep the hot air away from your fingers.

Start from the outer lower corner and work your way in along the lower edge until you hit the center bend . Then try to carefully pull the mirror glass out.

Same when you want to replace the mirror glass.
Heat up the plastic and reverse the process by pushing in the glass in the top outer corner and work your way in.

Once you have removed the glass there is a screw under the glass in a spring holding the plastic holder in the mirror housing."
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

hot-cur

Postby hot-cur » Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 am

wingpilot96 wrote:Found on another GW site...

"It is not easy but if there are 2 of you and you heat up the black plastic edge that holds the mirror in place and use a flat piece of hard plastic, i.e. snow scraper, knife, old credit card etc. and slowly prey the edge and lift and pull the mirror glass out.
It can be done.

Need to have a couple of heat guns or hair dryers. Be careful you don't damage the plastic edge. Start softening the plastic edge and here is where the other person comes into picture. They need to keep the plastic edge really warm whilst you work on removing the mirror glass.
Just ask them not to keep the hot air away from your fingers.

Start from the outer lower corner and work your way in along the lower edge until you hit the center bend . Then try to carefully pull the mirror glass out.

Same when you want to replace the mirror glass.
Heat up the plastic and reverse the process by pushing in the glass in the top outer corner and work your way in.

Once you have removed the glass there is a screw under the glass in a spring holding the plastic holder in the mirror housing."

Hi wingpilot96' thanks for the reply I well have a go at this (as I have a broken shell with a mirror still in place) will let you know if I have been successful or not thanks again hot-cur

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”