Throttle wheel on the carb is stuck??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
KEVS89WING
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Throttle wheel on the carb is stuck??

Postby KEVS89WING » Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 am

46 years old and I FINALLY HAVE ONE! Hi all, I have had a Hurricane, ZX11, Hayabusa, and others, but have wanted a GOLDWING since I was 20. So Here we go! I saw this 89 in a shed 5 years ago, and the man said it was his brothers' who died of cancer and he didn't know what he was going to do with it. So I finally drove by again recently and he had the shed door up and the bike was still there, with stuff piled up all over it. I inquired, and he said it was time to let it go. I got it for a good price, trailered it home, AND NOW THE REVIVAL STARTS!
Before starting it, he told me to do the following... change oil and plugs (done), put on new rear brake caliper (this one leaks, even when rebuilt)(got one used off ebay), change the timing belts (just ordered from NAPA part 250275), and put on new throttle cable (this one is froze up).
SOOOO....... here we are 2 weeks later, and I am on the throttle cables (got used ones off of ebay that slide easily for a good price). HOWEVER, after taking the fairings off and the air filter box, I see that when I try to twist the throttle, the cables appear to be trying to rotate the round wheel that they are hooked to on the side of the carb... . I think the wheel is froze up on the carb, and it is NOT the cables??! Should I spray carb cleaner down there on the round wheel, or even inside the carbs to free it up? What is in the carb that might be froze up or stuck? I am trying to avoid pulling the carbs out all together (running out of money!)
After the throttle issue, I will tackle the timing belts, and BE ON THE ROAD!! Thanks for any and all advice!
Oh! This is a 1989 GL 1500 wineberry Goldwing with 71K, and it ran fine when it was parked in the shed 5 years ago, and it is BEAUTIFUL, with radio, CB, cruise control, full trunks and saddlebags, etc!

1989 GL1500 Goldwing, loaded
71,000 miles
RESCUED ON 4-24-13 FROM A 5 YEAR NAP IN SOMEONE'S SHED
Maintenance completed: EVERY fluid, every filter, timing belts, fuel pump, and carb rebuild! As of 6-7-13, SHE IS UP AND RUNNING like a smooth beast now!

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: Throttle wheel on the carb is stuck??

Postby Fulcrum » Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 am

The problem is in the carbs themselves. The butterfly rods that link the carbs to the linkage are stuck. You will need to remove the carbs and soak them to get the throttles to unstick.

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Fulcrum, you were exactly correct. I sprayed some wd-40 on that butterfly rod by the big springs on the front and the back of the carb, and it now moves, albeit a little stiff! It takes about 3 or 4 seconds for the throttle to close from fully opened.
It should work itself freer as it is used! Thanks! Now, how in the heck am I supposed to connect the two big hoses back to the bottom of the aircleaner base?? The big one in the back right especially is IMPOSSIBLE to get back on!! Any ideas on that???
71,000 miles
Maintenance completed: EVERY fluid, every filter, timing belts, fuel pump, and carb rebuild! As of 6-7-13, SHE IS UP AND RUNNING like a smooth beast now!

Fulcrum

Postby Fulcrum » Mon May 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Glad I could help. Do you have the tank and seat off?

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 pm

I have the seat off, but not the tank.. Don't think I wanna tackle that! I just wanna get that tube in the back right tube on.. I got the front big one in the middle on finally, but the one in the back is not possible! Will it hurt anything if I leave it off?
71,000 miles

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:33 pm

You do not want to leave any hoses off. They are all on the clean side of air filter and you will be drawing unfiltered air into engine. The two in the back that are side by side if not connected will dump oily residue. You do have the inner fairings off right and not just the top shelter I hope. A pair of extra long nose pliers is what is needed, some guys use 12". I use a pair of long nose vise grips. You get the idea. The right front hose is pulled upward as far as possible and I clamp my vise grips straight in from the right at the 4 O" Clock position and then start with rear hoses.

All discussion is from the riders perspective on bike. Two hoses at rear of box and the tough one at right front of box. Left rear clear hose can be pulled up, it is the drain tube that goes through a couple of brackets and is attached first. The black hose to the right is then attached with the long pliers pulling upward on the hose. with the front of the box angled upright somewhat. With those two and the vacuum hose attached to left side drop the front of the box down where your pliers are pulling upward on the right front hose and guide the box down onto hose and hopefully you got it and are done.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Mon May 06, 2013 11:04 pm

That sounds great. Tuesday morning I will give it a try in that order... I will have to go purchase some very long needle nose pliers, but if it does the trick, it will be worth it INDEED. Thanks! :D
71,000 miles

Fulcrum

Postby Fulcrum » Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Honestly the easiest way is to just take the fake tank off. It has four little bolts that hold it on. I think 10mm. Maybe 12. Either way it is super simple to get off and then you can check alot of other things while you have a good view of everything. Don't bother trying to squeeze in a tight space, that is how stuff gets broken. Just take the tank off, will take about 2 minutes, and now you will know how to do it in the future and its a piece of cake.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Thu May 16, 2013 2:19 am

Hey Kevs89wing, how did you get on? Did you check the filters while you were diving into the insides? (Just in case some mice had taken up residence.)
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

KEVS89WING

Postby KEVS89WING » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey all! UPDATE. Well, I bought a pair of long 16 inch needle nose pliers from Harbor freight tools, And Wolof! I got the hoses all on correctly and the air box down on tight. So now I have put on two timing belts, replaced the coolant with Honda coolant, new spark plugs, engine oil and filter, Brand-new brake pads, flushed all of the brake fluid through the lines And got all of the rusty brown brake fluid and clutch fluids gone and replaced with fresh new clear dot four fluid, Recharged the K and N air filter, Put in 4 gallons of 93 octane premium gasoline, And Then I did the shaft drive oil with new 80 weight oil, And then the moment of truth. Put in a brand-new battery, And hit the starter. It cranked freely however no spark. Then I read on your website here about the reverse and neutral light situation with the solenoid at the reverse lever. I sprayed some cleaner in there worked the lever back and forth and Waaloa I got a neutral light, However still no start! Read more articles here and found out to check the fuel relay. I jumper it and still no fuel pump. The fuel pump had no power, so I pulled the old one out and it was a rusty gunky mess, So instead of paying $359 for a new fuel pump, I found on here where I could get the Napa one for $70 and the strainer from Napa also. I ordered those and it will 10 days be 10 days as they come from Tacoma Washington. AFTER I GET THAT FUEL PUMP IN I WILL PUT IN MORE FUEL AND HOPEFULLY THIS PUPPY FIRES RIGHT UP. THE ONLY THING LEFT ARE THE CARBS. IF THEY ARE GOOD, I WILL PUT 100,000 MILES ON THIS OLD GIRL BEFORE I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO IT!!

71,000 miles

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”