Starting problem 95 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rexles
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Starting problem 95 Aspencade

Postby rexles » Thu May 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Started my 1500 this morning and let it warm up for about 15 min. Got on and put it in gear and stalled it.
I pulled in the clutch and hit the starter button, nothing. Put it in neutral, still nothing.
Pulled off the side cover and I could here the relay beside the battery clicking.
Battery was fully charged. Checked all the fuses as per the manual.
Checked all wire connections for corrosion/looseness. OK
Tried to get starter to turn bu jumping power right to starter. Nothing.
Pulled out starter and hooked right to battery charger and it spun over. Nothing like a car starter, just slower.
Hooked up all the wires leaving the starter out and it will not turn over when starter button is pushed.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.. Just happy it happened in the driveway instead of at the funeral procession I was heading to.

rexles

Re: Starting problem 95 Aspencade

Postby rexles » Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 am

I checked all the relays and everything is fine. I am taking the starter to a repair shop today and see if they can do a draw test on it.
Is there something in the reverse system that could be messing with me?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

rexles wrote:I checked all the relays and everything is fine. I am taking the starter to a repair shop today and see if they can do a draw test on it.
Is there something in the reverse system that could be messing with me?

So with it hooked up, and the starter OUT of the bike, pressing the starter button doesn't turn the starter motor? If so, the problem is elsewhere.

And yes, the reverse system can cause exactly this kind of problem. If it's not ALL the way out of reverse, or the switch is not entirely pressed, or is defective, this can happen. Try pulling it into reverse, then putting it very solidly back out of reverse.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:06 pm

If the case of the starter were not grounded back to bike it won't work.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

rexles

Postby rexles » Sat May 11, 2013 6:28 am

After having the starter checked out at a starter repair shop(OK), I put everything back together and it started up.
Don't know what the problem was, must have been a loose connection somewhere although all the wires were tight when I removed them. Oh well it's working. I hate electrical :x

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sat May 11, 2013 9:08 am

Could also have been the kick stand switch being dirty. I have heard of some riders that have hit a bump in the road and their kick stand spring being weak, allowed the stand to swing down slightly, opening the circuit and killing the engine.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

rexles

Postby rexles » Sat May 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Fiberthree wrote:Could also have been the kick stand switch being dirty. I have heard of some riders that have hit a bump in the road and their kick stand spring being weak, allowed the stand to swing down slightly, opening the circuit and killing the engine.

Don't think the KS switch will keep the starter from cranking, just will keep ignition from firing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 pm

rexles wrote:
Fiberthree wrote:Could also have been the kick stand switch being dirty. I have heard of some riders that have hit a bump in the road and their kick stand spring being weak, allowed the stand to swing down slightly, opening the circuit and killing the engine.

Don't think the KS switch will keep the starter from cranking, just will keep ignition from firing.

I think it might depend on what year 1500. 88-96 will crank (but not start) with the kill switch on, 97-2000 will NOT crank with the kill switch on. However, Honda never bothered to update the schematics in the service manuals, so according to the 2000 service manual, it should crank with the kill switch on (even though it doesn't).

I know my 2000 will crank (and start) with the kickstand down, as long as it is in neutral.

OK, I had a look at the circuit diagram. Here's what I see:

(ignoring reverse functionality)

Engine will crank when:

Transmission is in neutral
OR
Transmission is not in neutral, clutch is depressed, AND kickstand is UP.

According to this circuit diagram, if the engine is in gear, and the kickstand is down, it will NOT crank, even if the clutch is depressed. Which makes sense, because if it did start, and you then let go of the clutch, the bike would launch itself off the kickstand.

The kickstand switch is also connected to the ECM, and when the ECM sees it is down, it will kill all spark.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”