How to add a power/charging socket

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

How to add a power/charging socket

Postby Big Blue UK » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

The absence of foot warmers and a blanking grommet provides the ideal place, If I had a SE I would remove the foot warmer control to fit the socket.
The pictures show the mirror removed, the socket was fitted during re assembly after fitting Metrix Audio front speakes, reversing light wiring, and new LCD display.
The socket I used was a marine type. It required removing the fairing pocket and the vent shown. To prevent the risk of damage to the vent securing lugs by levering out from the front. I removed the windshield and garnish, and the indicator unit, then depressrf the lugs with fingers or screwdriver from the back of the vent. Follow one of the how to's such as "How to replace your dash lights with LEDs" by WingAdmin for windshield and garnish removal.

The hole needed was about the same size as the blanking grommet so I drew around it and elongated the hole using a dremel fitted with a side cutting bit.

I extended the Optimate lead using domestic twin 1mm cable, I passed it along the body and along side radio to the front forks.

I then passed it into the fairing pocket void and through the mounting hole. I popped the vent back in to make sure the socket when pushed in did not interfere with the vent .

Perfect charging point for the optimate, i am well pleased,it also doubles as a better satnav socket, rather than keep passing it from the fairing pocket

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: How to add a power/charging socket

Postby Fiberthree » Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Very creatively done! :idea: Good use of the unused mounting location. Looks like it is in quite a handy spot, also.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”