REPLACING REAR BRAKE PADS

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

REPLACING REAR BRAKE PADS

Postby RBGERSON » Fri May 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Ok, I checked the how's nothing there directly on this..or I missed it?? Anyway wondering if it's easier to do the lift the whole trunk/bag assembly thing like I was goign to change the rear tire or just remove the left bag to get at the rear caliper. Once at the caliper anything else to remove besides the two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket??

I plan to just get at the caliper force the pistons back into the caliper and replace the pads..and reinstall the caliper.

Anything wrong with that plan?

The reason I am changing out the pads is that when I back the bike up by pushing it while sitting on it I can hear the rear brakes dragging /squeaking/rubbing..and it's louder if I am turning the front wheel while backing; note going forward no squeaking??? If I get in there and see I have lots of pad left I'll start thinking about cleaning/rebuilding the master IE the return port..but the brakes don't seem to dragging when I put her up on the center stand and spin the wheel..

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: REPLACING REAR BRAKE PADS

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 29, 2013 4:12 pm

You can do the lift trunk/bags method if you like - I can't do it because I have a bumper that wraps around. I've heard of people who didn't get it quite right, and broke a lot of expensive plastic. I just pull stuff off piece by piece, I don't mind pulling the bags off - I'm pretty quick at it now.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”