Gl1500 se clutch slave cover

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Gl1500 se 1997

Gl1500 se clutch slave cover

Postby Rjustason » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I am somewhat a handy man and i am loosing fluid from my clutch reservoir on handle bar. I believe after 98,000 miles my clutch slave gasket needs changing. I have a gl1500 book but two questions
Where is the darn clutch cover even after removing lower side covers
And is this something i can do or shall i bite the honda charge

Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Re: Gl1500 se clutch slave cover

Postby Sempai » Sun May 19, 2013 6:08 pm

I understand from your symptoms that you are losing clutch fluid...but not from the handlebar area?
If you've excluded the master cylinder, and the flexible hose from the master to the rigid clutch line, your next step is to inspect the rigid line to ensure that IT is not leaking anywhere between the front flex hose and the rear flex hose, as well as from the the flex hoses themselves. IF all those items fail to produce your leak, then it must be in the slave cylinder. You can find it on the very rearmost part of the transmission cover, pretty much in the middle of the aftmost portion of the engine/tranny case. It's easy to find if you've followed the clutch line to its end, it terminates at the slave cylinder. You can remove it quite easily from underneath, rebuild or replace it as you see fit. This particular unit is quite easy to rebuild.
Keep the rubber side down.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Gl1500 se clutch slave cover

Postby Dusty Boots » Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 am

It's located on rear of engine, just the other side of the alternator. Just follow the clutch bleeding nipple/tube to it. 3 bolts hold it on.
Easiest access to remove it to install a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit, is to remove the alternator, as that will give you lots of room.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”