REVERSE ON OUR HONDA GOLDWING DOES NOT WORK

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Please Support our Sponsors!

REVERSE ON OUR HONDA GOLDWING DOES NOT WORK

Postby goldwingjunkie » Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

We bought a 1993 Honda 1500 Goldwing Trike the reverse was working but stopped when we rode it for the second time. When we lift the reverse stick the bike goes into reverse but the start/reverse button just clicks the bike will not go into reverse. Does anyone know how to fix this problem.

goldwingjunkie

Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing 1500

Re: REVERSE ON OUR HONDA GOLDWING DOES NOT WORK

Postby trike lady » Mon May 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you adjusted the cables for the reverse?
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified
trike lady

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)

Postby goldwingjunkie » Mon May 20, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for welcoming us. Can you tell me where the cables are and we will try that
goldwingjunkie

Postby trike lady » Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm

The cables are on the right side of the bike behind the removable cover by the engine and you'll see the actuator with the two cables attached to it.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified
trike lady

Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)

Postby goldwingjunkie » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you so much we will try this and let you know
goldwingjunkie

Postby bustedwing » Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Welcome to the site from the U P of Michigan. Sorry to see you are having trouble with your new to you Wing. There are several different steps and adjustments that could cause your problem. I know you said the starter button relay clicked, but also did the neutral lite turn off and reverse lite turn on? Did the headlights turn off? Was their plenty of battery voltage? Without sufficient voltage, such as right after starting the engine, reverse has a hard time working. If none of this helps, look at the troubleshooting guide for your bike on reverse problems.
Proud member Patriot Guard
bustedwing

Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby goldwingjunkie » Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 am

Thanks bustedwing for your comments. The neutral lite comes on and then goes off and the reverse lite comes on. The headlights do not go off and the goldwing has a brand new battery in it. We have looked at the troubleshooting guide. If you can think of anything else please let us know. Will let you know when we find out what the problem was.
goldwingjunkie

Postby bustedwing » Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

Next step, check fuses. My book is for a 95 so might be different but look for fuse 5A on the left side of the battery and reverse fuse 65A under the seat. If those are good then we move on to continuity in the reverse lever switch. Let me know and I will delve deeper if needed.
bustedwing

Postby trj827 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm having the same problem to a degree except it goes in reverse spotty. Sometimes it does and other times it doesn't. What I have noticed when trying to use it is as follows : lights dim,reverse light does not come on ( even though it does on start up ) and it seems to get a little hotter per the temp gauge. Where do I need to start looking?
trj827

Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade
1998 SE

Postby bustedwing » Tue May 28, 2013 7:14 pm

I would read thru some of the posts we have gone thru and troubleshoot your way thru. First, check theccable adjustment, then with a test light start checking first battery connections, relay connections then starter connections. While checking connections activate starter and reverse. This should give you some idea of what is wrong.make sure you have a good 12volts going to the starter at all times. If your battery is borderline it will not work under a full load with low idle. Good luck.
bustedwing

Postby spiritofrodney » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Its good to have a forum as an avenue to share. I recently recieved a 1996 GL1500 as a gift from the wife of my MC mechanic mentors wife post his untimely death(RIP Rodney). After much consideration and troubleshooting as most of you, I concluded that my reverse problem stemmed from a bad reverse relay. I spent $89 for the part at the local Honda dealership after I searched for it online and found that the price was about the same with shipping and handling, but my problems was solved after installation. I hope that your problem can be easily resoved.
BEAR riding Da Beast
SGT NORMAN MILLER, RETIRED
Da Bear on Da Beast
1996 GL1500
spiritofrodney

Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Goldwing

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:46 am

Great, you not only saved yourself some money but learned a little about your ride. Also I f someone else runs into the same thing you have the expertise to advise them on troubleshooting and repairs. Ride safe.

bustedwing

Return to GL1500 Information & Questions