Need to remove cooling fans on both sides - Any tips?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Need to remove cooling fans on both sides - Any tips?

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 21, 2013 7:41 pm

I decided it was time to replace both left and right hand controls on my 92 Aspencade. The signal switch has been giving me some grief for the past year and my Cruise Control 'On' button quit working.
When I disassembled of the CC switch, I saw that 1 of the two tiny copper contacts was broken, so I bit the bullet and ordered both new hand control switches, as you can't order just the copper contact.
Upon researching the manual, most of the connectors are located in the connector holder above the cooling fans, which means hardly any room to work/remove the old connectors and hook the new ones up, but lots of opportunities for scraped/bleeding knuckles. I would think removing the cooling fans would be the way to go to get better access to those connectors.
Only problem is that I have never had to remove either fan before.
So ... any of you that have either removed the fans and/or replaced the hand controls before, have any tips/advice to offer me before I tackle this job?

Dusty

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Need to remove cooling fans on both sides - Any tips?

Postby ct1500 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

I have had to move those fans around before and they are a beatch, don't mess with them if not needed. For the connectors I would pull lowers, inners and pockets. Then remove the long plastic vent tube above the fan and goes up to the middle of fairing. There is one screw in the front fork tunnel which holds it in the front and then is easy to remove. Full access should then be possible to the connectors.
Attachments
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:05 pm

It will take a little twisting, pulling and prying to get the vent tube out but is better than the alternative. 8-)
This is what I do

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm

You talking about the cool air vent tubing that starts right under the headlight?
Never thought of pulling those. 8-)

lowriders
Motorcycle: 88gl1500

Postby lowriders » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

just got done with mine-- tuff job if you move vacuum lines around. but if all you're doin is pullin the fans to work on the strip above it n o prob.oh yeah watch out for spark plug wires too.

ct1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 pm

Yes sir and no need to remove the headlight. There is a smaller vent intake up by the headlight which the long one pushes into. It will line up easily into the smaller one when reinstalling.
Last edited by ct1500 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is what I do

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Tue May 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Gottcha

Dusty Boots

Postby Dusty Boots » Fri May 24, 2013 4:26 pm

ct1500 wrote:I have had to move those fans around before and they are a beatch, don't mess with them if not needed. For the connectors I would pull lowers, inners and pockets. Then remove the long plastic vent tube above the fan and goes up to the middle of fairing. There is one screw in the front fork tunnel which holds it in the front and then is easy to remove. Full access should then be possible to the connectors.

Thanks kindly for the tip, as the job was pretty easy (once all the tupperware was removed) compared to messing around with the fans.

Other than all my aux wiring harness in the way, I had good access to the connectors. I tied a loop of 16g wire around the old connectors once I got them apart, so when I pulled the connectors up and out from behind by their wiring harness, I transferred the loop onto the new connectors and pulled on the wire to pull them back into place. Went pretty quick, once you get the connectors apart. No skinned knuckles or cursing, either! :lol:

Thanks again! 8-)

Dusty

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:43 pm

"No skinned knuckles or cursing"? My Dad would have said "if you didn't draw blood, you didn't do it right". I just removed my CB/Sereo controller, and had to work in the same space. I wish I would have read this first. Good Job.

Ride safe,
Rich

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”