tow truck damage story / question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

tow truck damage story / question

Postby hap2 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 am

I had to get a tow truck for the bike 1500SE last night. He attached the ratchet tie downs to the handlebars (what ya hold onto when riding) & cinched down so much, when he unloaded me off the flat deck ‘tow’ truck, the handlebars were forced down so much, it took both him & I to pull them up to a position / level of a reasonably comfortable riding/ steering level. And now there is a little squeak (like something is rubbing against something else) when I turn the handlebars ever so much. It’s like it’s coming from the top of the struts. It certainly was not doing that before. What do you think is wrong that now is makes this rubbing noise? How does one fix that?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: tow truck damage story / question

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 23, 2013 6:55 am

Wow. I would have been screaming bloody murder. The handlebars are NOT meant to take a load like that. The fact that you were able to move them like that says that damage has been done to either the handlebars, or more likely the clamps that hold them in place. They have knurled surfaces, as can be seen in this picture:

This knurled surface is to keep the handlebars from moving when the clamps are tightened:

So first thing I'd do is take those off and have a look at the state of them.

Next, the squeak - you need to identify where it's coming from. It could be the steering bearings, it could be the forks. Can you get close to it and identify better where exactly it's coming from?

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Postby liquineer » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 am

I'd be hopping mad to if that happened- mine is off on Tuesday to be triked- (it has tried to flatten me one time to many.) so I will watch out for how they fix it on to the collection vehicle.

I would get the Tow company to pay for it to be properly inspected and repaired if necessary at a dealer- they should have liability insurance to cover for them damaging the bike.
Are we having fun yet?

honda1982
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade 1988 GL1500 1990 GL1500 trike

Postby honda1982 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

i worked for a towing company in AZ for many years an that just scream DUM-ASS first you never ever tie down to the handle bars unless you can get to handle bar mounting bracket the way it should have been done was pulled on to the flat bed by the crash guards with a nylon strap then set on the side stand level the bed then move it forward on the bed set it up on its center stand use the crash bars to secure it and a strap a crossed the seat just for extra security,an it dose not have to be super tight.if that was my tow the damage would have came out of my check. every bike is a different tie down app. but if it was in an accident then u dont need to be so gentle. so yea take it back to the tow company an show them an tell them what happen an c how they want to handle it. or fix it an take them the bill but i would contact them first.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Thu May 23, 2013 11:38 am

Hap, as everyone has said the first thing wrong was the driver tying your bike down by the handlebars. The second was pulling so hard that it created damage on several areas. Now unless you start screaming, you will be the one to pay for that idiots wrongdoing. The handlebars are hollow tubes and not ment to withstand that kind of tension. Putting that kind of pressure on the top of the head bearing if nothing else will shorten it's life, but worse case can ruin that bearing and once again you are holding the bag. I don't know what they charged you but the damage they caused will cost a lot more.
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Everyone should be familiar with this, just in case you need it one day:

How to tie down Goldwings for transport

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 am

WingAdmin wrote:Everyone should be familiar with this, just in case you need it one day:

How to tie down Goldwings for transport

I think I am going to start carrying my own soft ties with me just in case I need a tow some day.

"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”