clutch won't fully engage at times

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
nhorneck
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

clutch won't fully engage at times

Postby nhorneck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:08 pm

95 1500 SE clutch won't fully engage all the time. It will work fine for a day or so after I bleed it. When I pull the clutch lever there is a little bit of play which seems very normal and then the clutch begins to disengage, but after a day or so, the clutch lever is under pressure even when I am not touching it and the clutch disengages with minimal lever travel. When this is happening, if I accellerate to speed up or climb a hill, the clutch will begin to slip. If I just crack open the bleeder screw to relieve the pressure it will work fine for a few days before it messes up again. I have cleaned the slave cylinder and replaced both seals there. I took apart and cleaned the clutch master cylinder and filled the system with fresh Honda Dot 4 fluid and after a thorough bleeding I still get the same thing. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: clutch won't fully engage at times

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

I haven't worked on a hydraulic clutch, but I'm going to guess that if it is constructed the same way Honda constructs its hydraulic brakes, there is a pinhole return port in the master cylinder that is getting plugged and not allowing the fluid to return, causing a pressure build-up in the slave cylinder.

Have a look at this thread and you can see what it looks like on the brakes. I'd pull apart the master cylinder, clean it out, and ream out the return port to make sure it is clear. Then reassemble it, bleed it and see if it is fixed.

nhorneck
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE

Re: clutch won't fully engage at times

Postby nhorneck » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 am

Bingo. I have had the master cylinder apart three times now, but this time I finally found that pin hole that you mentioned. I had looked for it earlier, but it is well camouflaged. As soon as I broke through with a wire, I knew the problem had been solved. Thanks for your help.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”