GL1500: Part 3, Purrs Like a Kitten, Runs Like Crap

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
SchueGeorge59
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Goldwing

GL1500: Part 3, Purrs Like a Kitten, Runs Like Crap

Postby SchueGeorge59 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am

Par III of Goldwing Saga.
In the two previous post regarding my 1990 GL-1500, I have done the following to my Bike. Clean out carburetors and replace gaskets. Replace all three coils and spark plug wires. Went back through the engine and replaced all tubing sections that even looked suspect even pulled off the intake manifolds and went through everything from the block up including the PAIR system. All things nice and clean and tight, I started the bike and it still ran as before. Half power, with consistent 'putting' out of both exhaust pipes instead of a nice smooth flow of exhaust hitting my palms. At this point I shut it off and had to leave it alone for two weeks due to a very busy work schedule.
Got back to it yesterday and connected a vacuum gauge to #1 tube. at first I forgot to tee it in so when I started the bike it would not run off of full choke and died several times before refusing to start at all. I disconnected the gauge and put #1 tube back on. I cranked on the bike starter for two different 5 second bursts with no fire. I then let it set for several minutes and tried again. The motor started right up and came down to a perfect idle not missing or 'putting' one bit out of the exhaust. Ran it for ten minutes in the garage like that even revving it up a few times and nothing changed.
I then secured any loose items and took it for a short run. Ran great and was super smooth..... until I slowed down to stop about 1 mile later. The motor was back to half power. At cruising speeds there is no problem. I got back home and after a short set less than 5 minutes I started it back up and it again ran perfect. I am thinking I have a failing solenoid somewhere but would like to have an idea of which one to start with. anybody else have a situation like this before? I am close to fixed but need it bullet proof. We have a 2000 mile group ride coming up and my wife is getting nervous. Not me.... yet!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: GL1500: Part 3, Purrs Like a Kitten, Runs Like Crap

Postby virgilmobile » Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 am

OK,the hose you hooked the vacuum gauge to.....is it the one on the right rear....????
If it's the same plumbing as the 88,it goes to a "T" connection.One goes to the ECM AND the other is plugged for a test port.
Second...again,If like the 88,there are 2 air shot solenoids behind the right pocket.They can be tested easily.Also there is a control valve and filter on the right side,tucked behind the frame....I've heard of the filter deteorating and getting sucked into the valves.
There oz also a high altitude control valve in there too.
Do inspect all those hoses too.

SchueGeorge59

Postby SchueGeorge59 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:01 pm

No, I hooked up on the left manifold on #4 port. The original intention was to test the carburetors to see if they were in sinc. I will be testing the air shot solenoid as time permits. Thank you for the suggestions. Both were on my 'to do' list. I also will be cleaning all electrical connections on all solenoids as the problem seems to be able to come and go. Wednesday will provide more discovery.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 pm

SchueGeorge59 wrote:Par III of Goldwing Saga.Got back to it yesterday and connected a vacuum gauge to #1 tube. at first I forgot to tee it in so when I started the bike it would not run off of full choke and died several times before refusing to start at all. I disconnected the gauge and put #1 tube back on. I cranked on the bike starter for two different 5 second bursts with no fire. I then let it set for several minutes and tried again. The motor started right up and came down to a perfect idle not missing or 'putting' one bit out of the exhaust. Ran it for ten minutes in the garage like that even revving it up a few times and nothing changed.
I then secured any loose items and took it for a short run. Ran great and was super smooth..... until I slowed down to stop about 1 mile later. The motor was back to half power. At cruising speeds there is no problem. I got back home and after a short set less than 5 minutes I started it back up and it again ran perfect. I am thinking I have a failing solenoid somewhere but would like to have an idea of which one to start with. anybody else have a situation like this before? I am close to fixed but need it bullet proof. We have a 2000 mile group ride coming up and my wife is getting nervous. Not me.... yet!

The reason engine eventually died was because vacuum hose that was removed supplies vacuum to the auto fuel valve shutting off fuel flow. And you write now with that hose removed bike ran fine for a short while.

In an earlier post you wrote when spray was added to left carb it killed running almost immediately, that tells me left side is running rich. And that it ran better with fuel valve vacuum hose removed for a short while before running out of fuel or for a little while it was running much better afterward.

You likely have a defective auto fuel valve that is allowing raw gas to be sucked into the left side at cylinder #4 vacuum hose causing the rich condition.

Attach a vacuum pump to auto fuel valve and make sure it will hold a vacuum. Or after bike is running disconnect vacuum line at auto fuel valve in front of gas cap and check for gas dripping from valve or hose.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

SchueGeorge59

Postby SchueGeorge59 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:58 am

CT1500,
Never said the bike ran fine in my last post. Would only start on full choke and died right away. I had already tested the auto fuel valve when replacing and inspecting all hoses. The valve was able to hold vacuum while testing so I believe the valve to be functioning correctly. Also, I am not having a problem with the left carb being rich in mixture. Neither the plugs or tailpipe show any sign of this condition. Plugs are very clean burning and no discharge of carbon on the pipe tip. The earlier picture that I posted of fouled plugs was from #1 and #6 cylinders respectively. #1 had a week plug wire and #6 was caused by #6 tube having a nice burn hole on the bottom of it. Both of those conditions have been corrected. When I got it started after re-installing #1 tube, the bike ran so good until something either switched on or off it was incredible. I still have several solenoids to test and a lot of electrical connections to check. I am also picking up a better vacuum pump as well on my way home tonight. I have one that I McGuyvered together for work that will only pull a low vac reading. Better than nothing but I could use one designed for this.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 am

Here's a bit of info about the sub air filter.....
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... ilter.html

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 pm

SchueGeorge59 wrote: I took and sprayed some cleaner in the brass jet port in both carbs one at a time and got a totally different reaction from each one. The Right carb made the motor pick up RPM briefly when sprayed with cleaner. When I did the same thing to the Left carb, this would instantly kill the bike. This was a very repeatable test, even at elevated RPM's

From a previous thread is where I got this bit of info you wrote. And when I wrote back in the thread to spray it directly into carb throat, there was no reply. :?:

When helping folks on the Forum I try to provide them with sound diagnostic procedures anyone should be able to do. You must be able to narrow down exactly what the engine is or is not doing for areas to be checked for a timely and successful repair without blindly throwing parts at a problem hoping it will go away.

Compression, ignition and carbureation are the requirements and in your case can eliminate compression as it will not come and go. Next up is the ignition which on the 1500 is fairly bullet proof with no known weak areas. Tested very easily by removing plug wires from a running engine to determine if spark can be heard jumping to the plug. There is no "half power" scenario with regard to spark, you either got it or you don't and no magical ignition timing malfunction that comes and goes after a vacuum hose removal. Ignition timing can be manipulated to vary wildly at idle and not give the symptoms you describe.

Which leads us to fuel/air mixture, it is either dead nuts on, lean or rich, three possibilities only. Putting spray into carbs earlier you confirmed this condition with each carb acting differently to the procedure. Left side is rich, right is lean which is why I have replied with what was written earlier. Just because you do not see a sooty tail pipe or black spark plug does not mean it is not rich, plugs will take a while to become fouled black. So we must then go back and trust what the adding spray told us about the running problem. The auto fuel valve is a known problem leaking fuel into the manifolds down the vacuum hose.

There is no solenoid valve which if defective could cause such a bad running condition (extreme rich or extreme lean) and even more so affecting one side only of the engine. Defective air jet controllers do not have that range of extremeness nor does the shot air system with its solenoids able to richen an engine, only lean it out by adding air to the manifolds and once again affecting only one side is even more improbable.

My 2 cents.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Postby redial » Tue May 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I trust your frustration levels have not gone too high. Just from general experience, have you got a blocked fuel/air line/filter? I know it has been suggested that you purge the carbies with air, but what are the filters like - both air and fuel? If it goes for a short while and then dies, this sounds to me like the fuel can get through, but only slowly and not enough to give you the performance expected.

I hope it is something simple so that "normal service will be resumed as soon as possible".
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

stevemiller
Motorcycle: 94 h0nda goldwing interstate

Postby stevemiller » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:57 pm

could you have a non honda gas cap that seals the system. when it craps out take the gas cap off for a sec. and put back on and see if it runs.

Kiwi2
Motorcycle: 1988 GL 1500/6

Postby Kiwi2 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I am going to suggest something that you may have done or not. Have you checked the spark plug caps and wires?

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”