Seat help for a big man

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tflanders
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Seat help for a big man

Postby tflanders » Tue May 28, 2013 7:22 am

I am 6'3" and weigh 340lbs. I have a 33 inch inseam. I have been reading about all of the options to make your seat more comfy. Air seats, gel seats, beads, sheep skin, etc. Before I spend the money, I would like some feed back from other "large" members! I guess I am at the point of buying a gel pad and a sheep skin. Anyone have any feedback?

wingpilot08
Motorcycle: 2008 GL1800-HPNA - 24,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer
Darkside #1720

Re: Seat help for a big man

Postby wingpilot08 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 am

I'm not even close to your description....But I have been using seat beads for a number of years. The beads..allow for air to circulate between the seat and your butt...thus preventing "monkey butt". Allows me to ride longer and more comfortably...good luck with getting the wing to fit!
08' GL1800-HPNA - Red 20,000+ miles
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 am

I am not as tall as you at 6'0" but weight close to 300# and my answer is a Diamond Custom Seat.
Not cheap - you will spend $500 to $1000 for a really good one...but they will custom build it for you and it will be the best ride you have ever enjoyed. It can be a bit taller than OEM and wider too... I can go 1000 miles (and have several times) in a day on mine...
Investigate a new custom seat/saddle for better riding.
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

tflanders

Postby tflanders » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:44 am

Now I don't have a choice. I have a bad back, so it is a little tough to get on and off the bike. Getting off, after a beautiful day of riding, decorative metal on my boot snagged on the seat and put not one, but TWO tears in my seat! 15 years and no one had ever torn the seat, I have the bike for a few months, tear the seat. I could beat myself! :oops:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 pm

The two very best seats on the market are also the most expensive. Corbin and Ultimate. All the rest are as good as what they cost. To know for sure whether you need a really expensive seat like the Ultimate or the Corbin, you have to try seats at some large bike venue like Wing Ding, and you have to ride the kind of miles they are made for. For really big people, (not me, sorry) Corbin seem to be the cats butt. I have a couple of larger friends who have Corbins and they ride huge miles without any crippling effects. I am more medium sized across the butt and have found that I and others of my build seem to just fit the Ultimate like it was made for us - oh wait - it was made for us :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the gel pads and sheepskins and beads help with certain things, but they are bandaids. The best bandaid in the world for riders is LDComfort underwear. It does the trick on those long hot days. I have ridden a thousand miles in a day on my Ultimate saddle, wearing LDComfort. I could still walk, talk and scratch my butt (and feel it) at the end of the day :mrgreen:
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:00 pm

themainviking wrote:The two very best seats on the market are also the most expensive. Corbin and Ultimate. All the rest are as good as what they cost. To know for sure whether you need a really expensive seat like the Ultimate or the Corbin, you have to try seats at some large bike venue like Wing Ding, and you have to ride the kind of miles they are made for. For really big people, (not me, sorry) Corbin seem to be the cats butt. I have a couple of larger friends who have Corbins and they ride huge miles without any crippling effects. I am more medium sized across the butt and have found that I and others of my build seem to just fit the Ultimate like it was made for us - oh wait - it was made for us :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the gel pads and sheepskins and beads help with certain things, but they are bandaids. The best bandaid in the world for riders is LDComfort underwear. It does the trick on those long hot days. I have ridden a thousand miles in a day on my Ultimate saddle, wearing LDComfort. I could still walk, talk and scratch my butt (and feel it) at the end of the day :mrgreen:

Totally agree on the bandaid thing.Been there done that.Bite the bullit and buy a good seat now before you waste too much on the bandaids.JMHO.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

tflanders

Postby tflanders » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am

I went to Corbins website and they offer one seat for the Goldwing. That is it? That's the one I want? $789 which is less than I thought, which is good!

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 am

tflanders wrote:I went to Corbins website and they offer one seat for the Goldwing. That is it? That's the one I want? $789 which is less than I thought, which is good!

Visit several websites (and call them too)...They can and will CUSTOM VBUILD one to suit you after knowing certain measurements and seeing a picture of you sitting on your wing...

Know that Corbin is a harder seat at first and will require a lengthy break in period of at least 1000 miles. Most custom seats will say the same thing...

If it were me...I would TALK to Diamond Custom Seats, Corbin, Saddlemen Travelcade, Hartco (same as Diamond now), Ultimate Seats, and any others I hear about. MY personal favorites are DIamond (2-GL1500 seats experience now ; and Saddlemen Travelcade [GL1100 seat]) . Every time I SPEAK to them I learn more about their customer service attitudes (important in my mind when spending close to $1Grand) . philosophy on comfort, willingness to adjust or remake seats, materials used and why, and more.

Do not trust the website - Speak to a company representative at length -- My 2¢

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:31 am

tflanders wrote:I went to Corbins website and they offer one seat for the Goldwing. That is it? That's the one I want? $789 which is less than I thought, which is good!

Corbin SHOULD offer two sizes of seats for the Goldwing, unless they have stopped offering one of them. They should have a normal and a larger (King, Big, Longer) The two guys I know have one of each. The really big guy needed the bigger seat.

Be advised of one thing. At 6'3", you are never gonna get any seat that is going to give you comfortable knee position. You are also gonna need to put Highway boards or pegs on the bike to get any true comfort.

FURTHER NOTE: I checked Corbins web site and you are correct that they only seem to offer one seat now. They seem to have discounted the King. Ultimate still has a King for people over (or around) 6'3" and over 240 pounds, priced at $695 for just the seat - no driver backrest - no passenger backrest. I personally like Ultimate. Some of the others mentioned are fine, but I have seen some of them break down if they had bandaids in them. Saddlemen is a good seat also. Usually a bit less money than Corbin or Ultimate, but I do not believe they have a King either.

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

ImageImage

tflanders

Postby tflanders » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:47 am

I appreciate the great feedback! I do have highway boards on my bike, but they are "peg" style and I put too much pressure on them to be comfortable. I will have to get the entire "board" for my feet to be comfy. I will check out and call the other seat manufactures.

themainviking

Postby themainviking » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:56 am

tflanders wrote:I appreciate the great feedback! I do have highway boards on my bike, but they are "peg" style and I put too much pressure on them to be comfortable. I will have to get the entire "board" for my feet to be comfy. I will check out and call the other seat manufactures.

Call Corbin also, as they may still be able to supply a King sized seat. I prefer Ultimate, but I do not have all that much natural padding on my own butt. Be advised tho that Corbin seats for Goldwings ARE hard. They make seats for lots of different bikes, and not all of them are hard like the Goldwing one.

ImageImage

tflanders

Postby tflanders » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

I was just looking at Ultimates seat, WOW! Nice. I am going to do as advised, look at all of them, call all of them and go from there.

a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

Postby a@r » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Not sure how far you can ride but the wing-ding is on the east coast this year in Greenville S.C. I know for sure Mark from Hartco will be there and pretty sure the other's will be represented some how. This is a great place to see what you are looking for up close and in person, and maybe even get to test drive one of them.

Alan

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Postby minimac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:11 am

I suggest you check out Mean City Cycles on the interweb site. Great work and good pricing.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”