Im not complaining....just sayin!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
tflanders
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Im not complaining....just sayin!

Postby tflanders » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am

My Goldwing is getting to be an expensive little hobbie! :o I need to get my seat replaced so I can do some distance riding. I have some noise coming out of the front of the bike, like bb's rattling and I noticed my speedo isn't working smoothly as usual. It is jerky now when reading speeds. I am hoping I can lube it to solve the problem. I was looking real close at my tires. They still have great tread on them, then I noticed some weather cracking along the rim of the front tire. You can barely see it and they are tiny cracks. I just don't think I can go without changing the front tire knowing that I know there are those cracks there! I noticed a .....humming (?) coming out of the front end. Sounded like a tire? I checked my air levels and filled them to 33 in front and 41 psi in the rear. I thought the humming went away, but it didn't. I try putting on the brakes, still hums. Then the guy I bought it from said he had the ring of fire put on the bike, I was as excited as he was. They have never worked. There is a switch someone put on the plastic below the key that I assume is for the ring of fire. There are about a dozen wires that go to it though? Electrical is my weak suit! :cry:
Then I figure if I am going out for days at a time I would need a rain suit, in 5xl. A hundred bucks, so not too bad. I looked at gloves the other day, they were $39 to $150. Do I need boot covers for the rain? I just bought a nice pair of leather boots for biking in. Luckily I had kept my leather jackets from years ago. I did buy a vest though, with a conceal and carry pocket in it. It doesn't want to stay snapped when I carry my gun in it though, and it was a 4xl, the biggest I could find at the time! I luckily, found a used Nolan helmet in a xxl! He got rid of it because it was too small. Well, after wearing it for a month, it might be too small for me too!
Technology, I love it! I just don't like getting set up for it. I need mounts for my gps, phone and ipod nano. Ram mounts aren't cheap. I cant believe on a 15 year old bike, no one has installed a power supply? What are the chances? I would also like to have communications for me, to use my phone (Bluetooth) and to talk to a passenger or other riders. Huh, that stuff isn't cheap either!
I know, I don't need everything today! I feel like I do. I will just pick away at it. Im just sayin...................

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Re: Im not complaining....just sayin!

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:29 am

It has taken me YEARS (and $$) to get my GL1500 set up with all the stuff I want to have and all the gear I really need...

AND - I have made changes as well as I try stuff out that I thought would work, but find it is inadequate at best in real world use... :?

One thing I have found is that most of the trials and errors have been found, and that the information I get here and on other message boards, tends to be the shortest and most reliable anser to my searching (but rarely the Cheapest - beware a false ecnoomy)

Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Mag
Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha Venture (Crashed/Sold)
1982 1100 Silver Goldwing (sold)
1989 1500 Beige Goldwing (sold)
1988 1500 Beige Goldwing (current ride)

Postby Mag » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:04 pm

The "Santa List" is something important to have. I actually started building mine for my ride so I will not forget what I want. I can pay attention to a lot of the sales going on and can usually come close. I have regulated myself to buying everything in the winter time so I spend down time adding to the bike and doing the necessary work, then spending the time riding spring/summer/fall. All that being said, the list is not getting any shorter, and it is getting more expensive. And probably once I get my 1500 the way I want, will sell so I can get an 1800.....SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!!

:roll:

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:02 pm

MSRP on a bike = $24,990
MSRP on another bike = $34,499 (everyone needs at least two at all times)
MSRP on stuff = $3,000 (like gewgaws)
MSRP on one trailer = $2,499 (for single camping use - cargo trailer)
MSRP on next trailer = $5,499 (for two person camping use - tent trailer)
MSRP on Toy Hauler for winter use in the south of the U.S. = $39,999 (wish I had used it last winter, :lol: )
Last but not least, MSRP on a truck to pull the Toy Hauler with wife, and bikes loaded = $60,000

add taxes to it all and what do you have? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, which is priceless.

It is what money is for. Mind you, I did not pay MSRP on anything, and got all my bike gear free for buying the bikes new from dealerships, so the total can be downgraded, but to do the deeds one must pay for the seeds.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:05 pm

As Wingsconsin stated, it takes years of riding experience to know what you want and need to make your bike suit you. Then when you get it all just right you buy a newer bike and start all over again.
Have fun and enjoy it.

kboaz2001
Motorcycle: 1992 1500SE

Postby kboaz2001 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 pm

I had the same problem with my speedometer this year, and it turned out to be the transmitter at the end of the speedometer cable on the front wheel hub. It did not take too long to change and cost about $70.00.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:02 pm

The switch below the key you described might actually be a volume/fader control. Is it a rotary switch with a silver knob?

The "ring of fire" are prone to have grounding problems, that would be the first place I'd look. When I bought mine, the ring of fire didn't work and the fuse had been pulled. I determined the fuse was pulled because someone got tired of it blowing. I found this to be due to the construction of the lights. If you pull some of the lenses off, look closely at the screws, some are shorter than others. If the long screws are put in the wrong hole, they cause the bulb holders to short out when the lenses are tightened down. A frustrating problem because when you pull the lenses and start testing things, nothing is shorted out, but when you put the screws back in, bam, blown fuse again. Put the screws in the right places and no more blown fuses! ;)

tflanders
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Postby tflanders » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:18 am

Yes, it is a silver rotary type knob. I thought it might be a fader so I have tried it a bunch of times and cant tell that it does anything? I did figure out my ring of fire. There is a tiny black switch inside the front left pocket. Turned it on and bingo! My ring of fire has blue and red lights. These are both illegal in Minnesota.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:01 am

I thought you were talking about the ring of fire lights on the rear, you were talking about the front wheel. Yeah mine are amber on the front. Blue and red are legal here as long as they are not facing forward and not flashing.

My fader knob also has no effect on the external speakers, haven't tried headsets yet to see if affects them.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 am

BUT!!!! BUGS IN YOUR TEETH PRICELESS 8-) 8-) 8-)

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”