1500 head gasket replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

1500 head gasket replacement

Postby mrenfro » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Hello folks, just joined, thank you for the best Goldwing site out there. I have a 1990 GL1500SE with 54000 mi., which I have owned for one year. Have done much suggested maintenance from this site to get it into good shape. Timing belts, steering head bearings, fork oil change, cruise and sub filter change, air and oil filter change, oil and coolant change, final drive lube change, moly 60 lube of u-joint, driveshaft, and splines, flush and change fluid in brake and clutch lines, new rear tire, brakes and more. Bike has always run great, but recently I've had some problems. On last 50mi of a 300mi trip it began to overheat (both fans running). Gage went to upper white line (did not get into the red) as I babied it home. No coolant loss. I suspected thermostat and installed new one. This cured the overheating, but now I am losing coolant in the reservoir and gaining oil level. Drained oil to find very dark oil with greenish tint to it. I guess I have blown a head gasket, although I had hoped it hadn't gotten that hot. Can anyone point me to the steps of a 1500 head gasket replacement? Thank you for reading my post.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1500 head gasket replacement

Postby redial » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:57 pm

First off, I suggest you download the European Service Manual (ESM), as that will be a good place to start your work from, not only for this item but for others as well.

Chapter 7-8 (about page 150 of 880 pages) should get you pretty close.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”