Radio volume problems

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
kellies
Motorcycle: 1991 gl1500 goldwing

Radio volume problems

Postby kellies » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Good day, My problem on my 1991 1500 SE radio is this: The sound is very low and the mute button has no effect. The tape deck however does not work and the lid does not open when pressing the eject button. When removing the 5 amp fuse on position no 9 the sound is back to normal and the mute button works as well, but then the station memory gets lost when switching off. When inserting the fuse, the tape lid pops open and the sound go back to very soft again. the fuses are all alright and the 5 amp fuse in the relay box are also fine. I suspect the tape deck creates the problem but are not sure. Anyone with suggestions or maybe had the same problem for solutions? will appreciate any suggestions. Regards.

spiritofrodney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Goldwing

Re: Radio volume problems

Postby spiritofrodney » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Wow! I'm having a similar problem with my radio. The volume is very low and nothing I've done has corrected it. So I will be waiting for some illumination to this problem. It sucks not having tunes.
SGT NORMAN MILLER, RETIRED
Da Bear on Da Beast
1996 GL1500

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE

Postby Sempai » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 am

Well, I don't know that either of these issues are affecting your situation, but I feel like they may be of note to your quest:

I recently found two issues with my stereo, one a while back, the second, just a few weeks ago.
One problem was with the wiring harness connector(s) at the back of the radio itself. The problem I had here was the main power terminal was loose, I simply tightened the female terminals by bending them with a jeweler's screwdriver, I did ALL of the female terminals and the radio came on louder than it had ever been since I owned it.
After some time, I next had a problem with the display failing to come on, with this problem the stereo, cruise control, and on-board air pump all failed to work. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that it was a FUSE problem....lol...NOT that the fuse was bad, that was the very first thing I checked! What I'd discovered was that the female terminals into which this particular fuse plugged in...where loose. On occasion, there was enough contact to make it all work, but hit a slight bump in the road and it would fail. Again, minor tweaking with a jeweler's screwdriver and it all works just fine to this day.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6820#ixzz2VuiV0AyM
Keep the rubber side down.

kellies

Postby kellies » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at it as well. Regards.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS

Postby captdecker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:51 am

? does the mute show up in the lcd display? I have an 89 GL 1500 and it does from time to time. When it does volume goes very low and CB doesn't transment. Trace the trouble down to the conectors on bottom of the radio. STill not sure if conector on raido or plug could be a fine breck in one of the wire's. Took off rubber cover..just the lightness of touch to the wires on that plug will get it all working as it should. Was pain to track down..wishing you luck.

kellies

Postby kellies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 am

Hallo. The mute works as should when pressing the button. Mute display also go off when depressing the button but the volume still stays very soft. Thanks.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Did you check the 5 amp fuse in the relay panel located to the rear of the fuse panel. It controls tape deck, memory channels, and radio amplifier. Make sure you have 12v on both sides of fuse.

kellies

Postby kellies » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks for the info. Yes, I did check all of the fuses. All ok. I did however found the problem last night. The Tape deck packed up and caused the problems. I eliminated the wiring system by plugging in another radio that worked fine.(Borrowed my Brother's bike radio.) I then stripped the radio and disconnected the wiring plugs going to the tape deck. Al work well now except the tape deck don't work at all. Don't bother me also for I never used the tape deck. hope this helps somebody. Regards.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”