IGNITION SWITCH

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
ARITHIAN

IGNITION SWITCH

Postby ARITHIAN » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 am

FOLKS,
I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE EX-OWNER OF MY BIKE NOT TO TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH ON-OFF. BASICALLY TO HAVE ON 'ON' MODE ALL THE TIME AS THERE IS A SENSITIVITY WITH THIS SWITCH AND MAY SHORT CIRCUIT THE WHOLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. USE THE IGNITION KEY TO TURN THE BIKE ON OR OFF.

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE ADVISE IF THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THIS AS ALL MY OTHER PREVIOUS BIKES CERTAINLY DID NOT RUN THIS RISK.
DO GOLDWINGS OR HAVE THEY IN THE PAST ENCOUNTERED THESE PROBLEM??

CHEERS ARIS

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: IGNITION SWITCH

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

If you're talking about the "kill" switch on the right handlebar, there is no way that it can "short circuit" the entire electrical system. The only thing it can do is kill the engine - which is what it is supposed to do. It can fail in one of two ways:

- Fails open - means your engine will die, and you can't start it
- Fails closed - means your engine will run normally, and you can't use the kill switch to kill it

I have never heard of any "sensitivity" in Goldwings when it comes to this switch.

Personally, I almost never use my kill switch, and use the key to turn the bike off.

dasco
Motorcycle: 1982 GL100 Special Edition Interstate

Re: IGNITION SWITCH

Postby dasco » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:56 pm

ARITHIAN wrote:FOLKS,
I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE EX-OWNER OF MY BIKE NOT TO TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH ON-OFF. BASICALLY TO HAVE ON 'ON' MODE ALL THE TIME AS THERE IS A SENSITIVITY WITH THIS SWITCH AND MAY SHORT CIRCUIT THE WHOLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. USE THE IGNITION KEY TO TURN THE BIKE ON OR OFF.

CAN ANYBODY PLEASE ADVISE IF THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THIS AS ALL MY OTHER PREVIOUS BIKES CERTAINLY DID NOT RUN THIS RISK.
DO GOLDWINGS OR HAVE THEY IN THE PAST ENCOUNTERED THESE PROBLEM??

CHEERS ARIS

Naah thass juss plain "baloney". Switches were designed to be turned on and off. They do occassionally wear out tho, like any other componant can do.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”