timing belts need to be sure

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
milesf6
Motorcycle: 2002 gl1800 goldwing

timing belts need to be sure

Postby milesf6 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 am

i was replacing belts on gl1500 lined upped all marks crank cam pullys replaced belts tightened tensioners then noticed cam pullys moved need to know which method to used to correct this, i was told to turn the cam pullys clock wise until marks line upthen remove timing belt tenioners move nelt up one tooth retighten turn crank agin see if they line up. numer two turn your crank back to marks removed tenioners take belts off move forward one tooth retighten turn crank 360 back to marks until cams and cranks line up please direct me thanks Miles

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: timing belts need to be sure

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 am

This is assuming you haven't done any full rotations or if you have that you are back to the original starting position. Just start over..I'd take the belts off; is the crank back on the mark you made before you started?? if not put it there. Now if you haven't rotated the cam wheels so you know you are still on correct compression stroke just turn them back to their marks put the belts on this time keeping the wheels on their marks..then before rotate it the starter turn by hand a few times to be sure the valves aren't hitting the pistons.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”