Front forks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

Front forks

Postby a@r » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:04 pm

OK guys I am replacing the fork seals on a 89 gl1500, I have the whole assy off, Wingman your DIY info on this is wonderful. Here is my question, Has anyone ever tried to replace the fork oil by putting it in the hole in the bottom where the 6mm bolt and copper washer is. This bike is not an SE like mine and wingman's so there is no valve in the top to take out. It seams to me that a nipple with the same threads as the bolt would work, simply install the nipple add fork oil , install bolt, put assy back on and go riding. Sounds simple give me your thoughts.

Thanks Alan

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous-(2018 cannonball scoot)

Re: Front forks

Postby minimac » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 am

As long as the forks are off, why not drill and tap the TOP?

a@r
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 SE pearl white

Re: Front forks

Postby a@r » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 pm

That is what I ended up doing , just hard to drill and tap that hole while standing on your head, didn't want the metal shaving going inside where I could not get it part in the first place. Just for information I drilled and tap the caps and installed a 1/8 pipe plug, also using a 1/8 nipple about 2 inches long and a piece of condensate drain tube along with a quart of fluid and the tapered cap off an old 90 wt gear oil bottle works perfect. Now to try and get the other side fork apart, it seems someone has been there before me and used the wrong size allen wrench to take to bolt out of the bottom of the housing. May have to drill this out, after i find out where and when i can get the correct bolts and copper washers.

Thanks

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”