rear drive hub seems to be stuck

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jvanpotter
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE
in process of purchasing a 2007 GL18B (airbag) Newport Blue

rear drive hub seems to be stuck

Postby jvanpotter » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:44 pm

1990 GW 1500 SE. Trying to remove the rear wheel following the directions in the DIY topic. I get to the step where I should be able to push the driven hub into the wheel but it doesn't go... appears to be stuck in the drive hub. Is there some bolt I haven't removed that would keep it from coming out, or do I perhaps have a problem with the hub splines being stuck together. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

peppilepew
Motorcycle: 2000 Gl1500 Se
2012 GL1800 Level 3

Re: rear drive hub seems to be stuck

Postby peppilepew » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm

If you removed everything as instructed then a pry bar may be needed. Take a 2x4 and wack the tire pretty hard. The spline may be partially stripped and wedged together. Common problem if not maintained with moly. The wheel should literally fall off. I may have an extra hub. Not sure but i will check.

jvanpotter

Postby jvanpotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks... the wheel comes off the five drive pins easily... it's the piece with the drive pins that won't come free of the drive. I'll try the pry bar a little harder and hope that the drive isn't 'welded' together. Looks like the drive pins can be removed... I may have to do that to get the wheel out of the way. Much obliged.

willemb
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby willemb » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 pm

I do not want to intrude in this discussion but have a problem.
I am busy going over my final drive. The driveshaft and pinion joint need to be replaced. Problem is, I am not sure wether the nut holding then pinion joint has a clip or locknut. Can I just keep the moving parts tight and remove the nut or is there something I should loosen before I undo the nut? Please help.

Thanks
Willem

jvanpotter

Postby jvanpotter » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 pm

:D Success! The video on removing the final drive gave me the instructions I needed to get the that out, which made it possible to get the wheel out... and it turns out that the drive was just being cantankerous. Not sure why the driven side wouldn't come free, but it easily did once I had the final drive (and wheel) out of the machine. And no damage or wear on the splines. I removed the brake disc just to make it easier. The one thing not mentioned in that video is taking off the right side (air) shock. The bottom shock bolt has to be removed to get the final drive loose, but it's a bit difficult to get a punch in behind it to force it out once it's loosened. So now I have the wheel out and can get the 14 yr old tire replaced (I bought the bike used, and had it worked on at a shop, but they didn't catch the age of the tires - the front is 13 yrs old). A new set of Dunlops is in order.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”