Noise from HID head lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dpope
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Noise from HID head lights

Postby Dpope » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:50 pm

I just installed new HID head lamps on my 1999 1500SE and I am now getting a high pitch hum in my head sets at soon as I turn the ignition key on and before I hit the start switch, does anyone know if there is a filter that can be installed (Plug&Play) on the head set input line to get rid of this noise. The HID lights are great but the nosie in the audio is very annoying. This noise comes through even with the radio turned off, so I know it is not coming from there. I have wrapped foil around the high voltage output device, but these does not help.

Davek80514
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: Noise from HID head lights

Postby Davek80514 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Dpope wrote:I just installed new HID head lamps on my 1999 1500SE and I am now getting a high pitch hum in my head sets at soon as I turn the ignition key on and before I hit the start switch, does anyone know if there is a filter that can be installed (Plug&Play) on the head set input line to get rid of this noise. The HID lights are great but the nosie in the audio is very annoying. This noise comes through even with the radio turned off, so I know it is not coming from there. I have wrapped foil around the high voltage output device, but these does not help.

Just curious to know which HID set you ordered and from whom.

Dpope

Postby Dpope » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:40 pm

I purchased them from a vendor at the Georiga Wing Fling in Dillard,GA, in June of this year. They are listed as Goldwinghids for GL1500. Hope this is helpful. I talked to this vendor a he stated he would be at Wing Ding in Greenville, SC in July, so I plan on looking him up and see if he has the answer.

Davek80514
Motorcycle: 1992 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby Davek80514 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Dpope wrote:I purchased them from a vendor at the Georiga Wing Fling in Dillard,GA, in June of this year. They are listed as Goldwinghids for GL1500. Hope this is helpful. I talked to this vendor a he stated he would be at Wing Ding in Greenville, SC in July, so I plan on looking him up and see if he has the answer.

Please update us when you find the answer.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby ct1500 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm

How is this device grounded, it should have its own running directly to frame and the power wire should also have its own run. Do not hack into wiring which might be closest and easiest available :oops: . Foil aint gonna do nothing, relocate device and you do not want wiring of it running parallel to OEM wires if posssible.

I would try that for starters
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Dpope

Postby Dpope » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks, I moved the wiring as far away from original wiring as possible and also wrapped them with aluminum foil and the hum is alot less, I think I can live with it for now. I keep the radio on and it drowns out what's left of the low hum. I found the card from the vendor, I purchased them from, SoCalMotoGear.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 am

When I first installed my HID lights and ballasts, I had noise in the intercom as well. I originally had a ballast mounted on each side of the headlight assembly inside the fairing. That seemed like the logical place to mount them. This was my downfall. I moved both ballasts to the right side of the headlight assembly and placed one on top of the other just forward of the right fairing pocket. They are attached to the fairing and each other with self adhesive tape. No more noise.

By the way, I have a Kennedy Cell set and I use Air Rider headsets with the battery box microphone amplifier. Both of these are tucked under the dash on the left side of the fairing just forward of the left fairing pocket. No noise in those systems either with the ballasts on the right side of the fairing.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 pm

I have these same lights on my GL1500, and I have zero noise in my audio system. The most important thing you can do is pay attention to the routing of wiring, and positioning of the ballasts - do not allow any of the wiring to come anywhere near any audio wires - and if possible, not near any other wires at all. The position of the ballasts is the most important, they should be far away from everything - I put mine stuck to the inside of the fairing, at the very front, just outboard of the turn signals.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Phantom Gray

Postby Andy Cote » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 am

WingAdmin wrote:I have these same lights on my GL1500, and I have zero noise in my audio system. The most important thing you can do is pay attention to the routing of wiring, and positioning of the ballasts - do not allow any of the wiring to come anywhere near any audio wires - and if possible, not near any other wires at all. The position of the ballasts is the most important, they should be far away from everything - I put mine stuck to the inside of the fairing, at the very front, just outboard of the turn signals.

Same here. I also have a Kennedy CellSet under left pocket connected to a Kenwood Ham radio in the trunk. I ran the ballast power directly to my EC fuse extension panel.

DARKSIDE #1500
88 GL1500, Phantom Gray Metallic, double darkside
97 Valkyrie, red/white
Previously, GL1200 (2), many other Hondas and one Kawasaki
Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”