air hose GL1500SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
redhonda
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

air hose GL1500SE

Postby redhonda » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:36 pm

finally found some air hose to go to the compressor on my GL1500SE wing. my question now is there anything I need to do other than
re-hook the air hose and fill with air. if so what will I need to do and how can I accomplish this. don't remember if I previously stated, but
I triked the bike about 3 years ago with a Motor Trike kit. if I could figure put how to upload pictures to this site I would post pictures of my bike..

thanks in advance for all the help I have received with this problem

ride with the wind :)

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: air hose GL1500SE

Postby redial » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am

When you prepare your response, go to the bottom of the screen where "Options" and "Upload attachment" tabs appear. All will be revealed at that point.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

redhonda
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby redhonda » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 am

should I need to do anything else other than replace the air hose and inflate the shock????

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 am

Shouldn't be anything else as long as your pump works.
Bill

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 am

This is from the owners manual on how to use the Air Outlet:

Just make sure that after you have used the aux air line that you remove it from the connector inside the saddlebag.

If you have it in mind to use the pump to fill a flat tire that you repaired on the road or in the garage, you would be well advised to use anything else but the onboard pump. I highly suggest that you only use the onboard pump for suspension adjustments. It is about $300 item to replace. A $10 pump from your local department or auto parts store is a much better idea.
The on-board compressor is the primary means to maintain the pressure in the rear shock, plus if anything should happen to that pump, it is very pricey to replace.

Keep in mind that it takes a very long time to pump up a tire with the onboard compressor. That being said, it can be used as an emergency compressed air source ONLY with the ignition turned off and the tail lights illuminated.

So, there you are, in the middle of nowhere. You had a flat tire from a road hazard but not to fear, you managed to plug it with your tire plugger and filled the tire with air from your on-board compressor. Only now you discover that you are still stranded out in the middle of nowhere. Why? Because you have run your battery down so low that you can no longer start your bike.

The benefits... An auxiliary compressor is only about $10.
It will fit just about anywhere. It can also be used while the engine is running and will not run down the battery. You can buy about 30 of the auxiliary compressors for what ONE on-board compressor costs.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:52 am

Point well taken. Truth is, the manual is a little deceptive. It is telling people that it is OK to air up and tire and there is a hose provided in the right saddle bag that you can connect an auxiliary hose up to for that purpose. I have a small electric pump I bought for about $80 bucks at Adventure Design. I carry this unit on my Virago 1100 on shorter trips and the Goldwing on longer trips. To date I have never had to use it, but it fits in a tiny little bag and is of an all metal design, so it isn't subject to the 5 minute limitation of most pumps including the Goldwing on-board pump.

Bill

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”