Once again, Wingadmin, you are the best!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Once again, Wingadmin, you are the best!

Postby mtn_boy1 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 am

Started changing my timing belts about 9:00 yesterday morning (After putting Sea Foam in the oil and riding around Friday evening). Although I am moderately mechanically inclined, I wouldn't have even known where to start if not for your DIY article. Step by step, check and re check, and 4 hours later it was finished with new belts, new oil, new antifreeze, and new plugs. I'm planning to ride to Wisconsin in July and the only thing I have left to do is put a new front tire on. I'm thinking, while coming through Ohio, I should take a detour north just long enough to shake your hand and buy you a 6 pack of your favorite cold beverage. You make things so much easier for us! I'm sure a lot of Honda Dealers probably have a 'Wanted' poster of you in the service dept. :D I know when I picked up my oil change stuff and plugs, the parts guy asked what all I was going to do. When I told him I was changing the timing belts he said 'Oh, man. Are you sure you want to do that?' I said 'No problem. I'll just read the instructions.' You shoulda seen his face. Once again, Thank You from all of us for your time and advice.

'Soldier HARD'
Patriot Guard Riders, North Carolina/Virginia
"From the day I was born they have had my back..til the day I die I will have theirs."

Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 A Aspencade

Re: Once again, Wingadmin, you are the best!

Postby tflanders » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 am

That's awesome! I don't have the confidence to even try doing it. I don't have a garage either! Otherwise I would do or attempt to do a lot of the things mentioned in the forums, over the winter here. I have about 9 months of winter to work on it here in Minnesota!

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Postby amsoilguy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

I wholeheartedly agree! As mtn_boy1 said, the tutorials and advice from other board members have been invaluable.

I'm finally getting mine put back together after a long down time for badly needed maintenance. I'll also include a list of what I was able to do with the help from this board, since this is my first wing:
- Timing belts
- Rebuilt leaking front forks
- Replaced all filters
- Removed front and rear wheels and had new tires installed
- Replaced front brake pads
- Removed final drive and shaft, cleaned and re-greased
- Changed engine and final drive oils
- Replaced worn rear brake rotor
- Replaced fluids and bled brakes and clutch

The hardest part? Waiting to save enough money to buy parts as I went along... :shock: :D

'88 GL1500

Motorcycle: 88 GL 1500 2003 Shadow 83XS650 82 Virago

Postby gr8jeep » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Gotta chime in here as well , I did the timing belts on my 82 and without the help of the DIY section I woulda never been able to do it, he's the Man for sure!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:32 pm

I appreciate the kudos, but people here contribute far more than I could ever produce myself. So it's a team effort!

My biggest problem is a shortage of time to get everything done!

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”