engine noise

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
jbeganny
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Goldwing

engine noise

Postby jbeganny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 pm

89 GW 1500. After trying to find out what is making such a violent noise coming from my engine I had a bike mechanic listen to it and he was fairly sure it was a timing belt adjuster. He said the bearing in the adjuster was the problem. He lives in another state and was going home the next day but told me I could do the work myself. I was excited thinking that it wasn't the engine. I found a nice set of instructions right here on the forum explaining step by step how to change the timing belts and they were great. I just completed the operation and kept my fingers crossed as I started the engine hoping not to hear that violent noise ever again. Wrong. As soon as the engine ran for a couple minutes it was back. That is what baffles me. The noise only occurs when it wants to. It will run quietly for a couple minutes then make that violent noise for a while, then stop. It surely sounds like it is coming from the area in front where the timing belts reside. There has to be someone who has had this happen to them. The noise is violent and gets worse with more rpm's and then just stops completely. All the while the bike is running exactly as it should. Engine has 121K. How about the water pump?? Could that be the problem? The guy I bought it from actually rode it over 75 miles to a dealer to have it checked out. They told him it would be expensive just to find out what the problem was. In any case, he rode it all that way with it making that noise when it felt like it. It didn't seem to harm the engine. Anyone got any ideas? I want to fix this bike!!!

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: engine noise

Postby Fiberthree » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Is there any way you could describe the noise other than violent? I mean... I find listening to Yoko Ono singing equal to dragging a rake across a chalk board and I would describe that as violent. But a failing waterpump bearing is more of a screeching sound.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 am

You can use a large screwdriver (handle in your ear and the blade touching the engine) to listen at various spots around the engine. The screwdriver will pick up any vibration and you can determine exactly where the noise is coming from.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:24 pm

And yes it can be the water pump.It has 2 roller bearings in it and they are pre-greased and sealed.They are not lubed by the engine.
If your mechanic was confident the noise sounded like the idler bearing,it could be just as easily the bearing in the pump.
The good news is that the pump bolts right to the front of the engine,unlike the 1200,you don't have to pull the whole front cover off.Its just a few hour job.

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Postby bustedwing » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Either a screwdriver or a hammer or a mechanics stethoscope, which are relatively reasonable and available at most auto parts stores. With the stethoscope you can check all areas and figure where the noise is coming from. Very easy to pin point bearing noises. You can even the bearings on each end of an alternater .
Proud member Patriot Guard

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am away right now but when I get home I will check out the noise more thoroughly with the stethoscope. I guess I am not very good at describing noises but screeching would probably describe it pretty well. It sures seems to be coming from the water pump area. The guy who owned the bike thought it was engine noise but since it runs so good and does not do it all the time it only makes sense to me that it is not internal. Especially when he drove it and the motor still runs well. We will see. I will report back to you after I get home.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:49 am

I am still away for the 4th but I noticed this morning that this topic has been viewed 71 times and yet only 4 people have replied besides me. What's wrong with this picture? Are you telling me that of all the people who have viewed this, that no one else has a theory on this problem? Come on you guys. I want to hear from you if you have any ideas at all. No such thing as a bad idea. It's difficult for me to believe that with all the Goldwings out there, that not one viewer has had this same problem.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 am

I know I am curious about your findings and check back from time to time just to see if you pinpointed the noise yet.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:27 am

There are a limited number of possibilities.Without actually hearing it first hand,all appropriate guesses have been made.The balls(noise) is in your court now.
We're waiting on you.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:37 pm

If you have a phone or camera capable of recording video with sound, perhaps you could post a Youtube video of the sound?

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:52 pm

I have a smart phone which is probably capable of recording the sound. If only the owner was smart enough to figure out how. I will ask one of my grand daughters to help and we will see what happens.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:32 pm

OK. If I think I need a water pump should I go ahead and buy one on line? At the local Honda shop they are $175 and have to be ordered. Online I can get one for $131. There seems to be a kit where one can rebuild the thing. Is it simple or should I just get a new one? Someone, tell me what to do!!!

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I would recommend go with a reputable on line supplier. Unless you have the proper tools and equipment such as a press. Make sure to buy from a supplier that will give you a warranty. I am guessing this is where you are hearing the noise?

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

I tried to rebuild one ....twice...
Now I have a spare one with a broken impeller,and no press either.
Just the aggrivation was worth the new price.
Get a new one.
If you can afford the down time,remove yours and verify the bearings are bad.
Or use a stethoscope and listen to it.
Don't just replace it on our say so.We can only suggest likely causes of the noise we've never heard.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I second what he said.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks again you guys. I realize this is a crap shoot. Since you have not heard the noise it is impossible for you to trouble shoot with any accuracy. I am reluctant to purchase a new water pump since I don't even know if that is the problem. I just figured I would start replacing things hoping the problem goes away. The noise surely is coming from the front of the motor. I called the mechanic who did listen to the bike who is now back in Virginia and talked with him tonight. He said that when he was observing the bike he placed his hand on the timing belt cover and when the noise occurred, that cover vibrated. He told me to remove that cover and start the bike to see if that vibration was gone. He also told me to remove the water pump and examine it to see if the bearing could be worn out although he doubted that was the problem. I plan on doing those two things tomorrow and I will try again to record the noise and post it on utube.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 am

One consolation if the water pump has never been replaced it is probably due. You have already eliminated one of two main reasons for the noises coming from that area of the engine. By process of elimination I believe the water pump is the only thing left. You have checked everything else, so bite the bullet and get the pump.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:02 pm

At this point I have determined that the noise is coming from the transmission. I may be wrong but when the noise is present it goes away temporarily when I put the transmission into 1st gear. With it in 1st and the clutch engaged the noise seems to reappear as the revs increase but not with the intensity as when in neutral. This holds true as I shift it through the gears. All this with the bike on the center stand. When in neutral and making the noise I used a makeshift stethoscope and determined noise is coming from the transmission. It really transfers to everything on the front of the engine. Now I am trying to remove the front transmission cover. Where can I get instructions on how to do this?

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Once again, go to the model in the search area of this website and you can gain a lot of information on that bike. Heredity says the clutch is what normally makes a racket, and you are now pointing towards the front of the transmission.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Do not remove the front of the engine yet....Nothing gained by looking in there...Any bearings that are in there can only be replaced by removing the whole engine anyways...
Keep in mind that sound travels and the water pump is shaft coupled through the engine block.
When you put it in gear,you change the 'load' on all the innards.
Also another consideration...The alternator also has roller bearings that can be noisy..It too is coupled to the engine.
You need a stethoscope,there cheap at Harbor freight...
I'd still listen to pinpoint the noise.
At least the alternator and water pump can be inspected and tested without intruding into the engine block.

Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500/6 with Watsonian Oxford sidecar

Postby Sidcar » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Does this noise increase with engine speed or road speed?
Does it do it any particular gear or all gears?
Does it disappear when you select top gear?
Does it happen as you take up the drive?
Is it there at idle
It's unusual for noisy bearings to suddenly stop being noisy.

Sid

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

[quote="Sidcar"]Does this noise increase with engine speed or road speed?
Does it do it any particular gear or all gears?
Does it disappear when you select top gear?
Does it happen as you take up the drive?
Is it there at idle
It's unusual for noisy bearings to suddenly stop being noisy. I haven't had this on the road but up on the center stand it makes a brutal noise in neutral but quiets down almost completely when I put it in gear. Keep in mind that this does not happen all the time. Sometimes it does not make the noise at all. It does not disappear in top gear but it is quieter. What do you mean take up the drive? It is there at idle. Remember, it is not there all the time.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Do not remove the front of the engine yet....Nothing gained by looking in there...Any bearings that are in there can only be replaced by removing the whole engine anyways...
Keep in mind that sound travels and the water pump is shaft coupled through the engine block.
When you put it in gear,you change the 'load' on all the innards.
Also another consideration...The alternator also has roller bearings that can be noisy..It too is coupled to the engine.
You need a stethoscope,there cheap at Harbor freight...
I'd still listen to pinpoint the noise.
At least the alternator and water pump can be inspected and tested without intruding into the engine block.

OK I will check the alternator and water pump again but when it is making that noise it radiates to everything on the block. It almost goes away when put into gear.

jbeganny

Postby jbeganny » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:22 pm

bustedwing wrote:Once again, go to the model in the search area of this website and you can gain a lot of information on that bike. Heredity says the clutch is what normally makes a racket, and you are now pointing towards the front of the transmission.

So are you saying the clutch is the culprit perhaps? If so, where is the problem located? Sorry about the ignorance.

bustedwing

Postby bustedwing » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Don't ever feel bad about asking questions, the only stupid question is the on you don't ask. The clutch on your bike has a habit of rattling and sometimes just a matter of making an adjustment can calm it down, sometimes you have to run some cleaner thru the oil before changing it because your clutch is awet cclutch and is kept wet by your engine oil. You can read up on it for more information under the search area, it is covered including your model. But please do not be afraid to ask if you can't find the information, we are all here to help.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”