Rear Brake Light Problem

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
sshogg
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500 Aspencade

Rear Brake Light Problem

Postby sshogg » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 am

I have a 96 Aspencade. Just went through it and replaced all of the rubber brake lines on the bike. After putting it back together, I discovered that I have a problem with the rear brake lights. Start it up and all the lights seem to be on correctly but when the brake pedel or handle are pushed, the running/brake lights on the bottom go out but the trunk lights work fine. Need to know where to start before pulling it all apart. Thanks.

iamscott
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Rear Brake Light Problem

Postby iamscott » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:54 am

Could be the trunk and the actual brake light cables are reversed?

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Postby Fiberthree » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 am

There are two running light circuits on the 1500. One is actually the parking lights which are only on the trunk. From your description it sounds like you have a broken or bad ground connection. The lights appear to be working normally because they are getting the ground connection through the bulbs of the parking lights. When you apply the brakes it turns off the bulb since you have the same voltage on both sides of the filiment. Chevy trucks use the same principle on their turn signals. I've heard it called "tick-tacking", where they flash alternatly. Anyways, check your groud connections,
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

sshogg
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500 Aspencade

Postby sshogg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for everybody's help. It was a ground problem. Tracked it to the brake sockets themselves. Don't know why but both sockets were melted where the ground wire goes into the socket. Put new ones on and it was good to go. There was a lot of halfassed wiring that I took out that went to add-on lights that didn't work anyway. Hope that was the cause of the meltdown.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”