Blue smoke and raw gas smell in exhaust

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Dannyboy1966
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500A Aspencade

Blue smoke and raw gas smell in exhaust

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I got a really good deal on a 1991 1500SE, so whatever I may have to do to make it right, isn't gonna hurt that bad. The body has a couple ruff spots in it, but what vehicle thats been around for 22 years doesn't. My concern is that when I start it up it has a blue raw gas smelling smoke without the choke being on. I drove it 120 miles to get it home from the place I bought it and had someone following me, they said it quit the smoking within a couple blocks, but when i stopped to get gas it still had the smell coming out of the exhaust but no smoke. It has no power problems runs healthy, all the way, no dead spots no wanting to die out or anything. Holds a steady idle. I'm wondering if the air filters might be clogged, or if I might be able to run a tank or 2 through it with some Gumout, or STP in it? Any ideas would be great. Thanks

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Blue smoke and raw gas smell in exhaust

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Check the filter and also look for signs of raw gas near the gas cap.The vacuum valve just in front of it may be leaking.
Mine smokes at startup after setting on the side stand too.It's normal.

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:12 pm

If you want to run some fuel additives..I prefer Seafoam. Like a tune up in can.
If the bike has not been run much or if the previous owner was a very gentle rider it is possible the engine has carbon build up.
The Seafoam will help to break that down over time.

A mechanic I once talked to , who had been wrenching on Goldwings for many years, told me the worst thing Goldwing owners tend to do to their bike sis ride them too easy. It is good for them to be run a little harder, hitting the 5000 RPM marker once in a while. Keeps them clean inside he said...?
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Dannyboy1966

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:24 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Check the filter and also look for signs of raw gas near the gas cap.The vacuum valve just in front of it may be leaking.

Thanks Virgil, I planned on checking the filter this weekend after it cooled off a little around here, it's been in the upper 90's with heat index of 110. as for the vacuum valve it's not leaking there, just a raw smell in the exhaust I'll try some seafoam in it this weekend too. some of it might be i think it's idle is a little slow, suppose to be 800 isn't it?

Dannyboy1966

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:If you want to run some fuel additives..I prefer Seafoam. Like a tune up in can.
If the bike has not been run much or if the previous owner was a very gentle rider it is possible the engine has carbon build up.
The Seafoam will help to break that down over time.

A mechanic I once talked to , who had been wrenching on Goldwings for many years, told me the worst thing Goldwing owners tend to do to their bike sis ride them too easy. It is good for them to be run a little harder, hitting the 5000 RPM marker once in a while. Keeps them clean inside he said...?

Wingsconsin thanks. I've been reading about that seafoam, that stuff sounds like a "miracle in a can" The bike came from a small town dealership, probably some old farmer that owned it from day one, putt putted around on it, I did get them to throw new rubber on it, and do an oil change, doubt they checked that air filter. probably factory original, farm fresh.. LOL

bstig60
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500AC ASP
1999 Virago XV1100LC
1994 Time Out Camping Trailer

Postby bstig60 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 pm

I pulled the air cleaner on mine to clean and service it and found a bunch of acorns all over it. Run 1/2 a can of Seafoam to 2-3 gallons of fuel. Put the rest of the can in at the next fill up. Check your vacuum lines, the fuel vent and pull a plug to check its color. I would service the air cleaner before doing anything else.
Bill

Dannyboy1966

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 am

bstig60 wrote:I pulled the air cleaner on mine to clean and service it and found a bunch of acorns all over it. Run 1/2 a can of Seafoam to 2-3 gallons of fuel. Put the rest of the can in at the next fill up. Check your vacuum lines, the fuel vent and pull a plug to check its color. I would service the air cleaner before doing anything else.

Thanks bstig60, I plan on tackling the air filter this weekend, and checking the vacuum lines, and doing the seafoam at the same time. once I get that stuff run through it, I'll put a new set of plugs in it.

Dannyboy1966

Postby Dannyboy1966 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:28 am

virgilmobile wrote:Check the filter and also look for signs of raw gas near the gas cap.The vacuum valve just in front of it may be leaking.

You were dead on about the side stand, I put it on the center stand, no smoke what so ever, still has the rich smell in the exhaust but i plan on changing the air filter this weekend, and running some seafoam through a couple of tanks of gas, then change the plugs, and see what that does for it.
Thanks again.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”