Main relay blowing for park lights

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
macdaddykeith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Main relay blowing for park lights

Postby macdaddykeith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:21 am

I found the running lights not working the other day and started checking fuses. None bad. I was reading on the forum about other issues with the relays and checked the relays. I found the main lights relay not working by swapping the 20A relays around until I figured which one was bad. I installed another relay and it works. I rode the bike for a couple of 20 mile runs and it worked fine. I rode it to work today and it I was keeping an eye on it to be sure. I noticed that my OD light was off and then looked to the right and noticed the temp and fuel gauge not working again... I am at a loss. In reading the schematics it looks like it comes out of the 15A fuse to the 20A relay and disperses to the bike. How can a 20A relay blow and not the 15A fuse?

The only mods I did this winter was install one of the larger alternators for the output and I did the wire clip mod for the cornering lights so they would stay on all the time. But, I did not think the cornering lights went through that relay. And why does it not blow the fuse along with the relay?

macdaddykeith

Re: Main relay blowing for park lights

Postby macdaddykeith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 am

OK, another thought. By having the lower cornering lights on all of the time, can that burn the contacts side of the relay out?

Also, the mod that I did to the cornering lights was the one of clipping the one wire on each to get them to stay on anytime the ignition switch was on.

macdaddykeith

Postby macdaddykeith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am

I was reading in the forum again...LOL I saw where sometimes there is an issue with the relay if you do the mod to the cornering lights. Could this be the same issue? Also, when I did this mod, I had just changed the lights to the H1 conversion. If I am not mistaken, this will draw an even greater load. But, will this burn the relay out and not blow the 15A fuse?

macdaddykeith

Postby macdaddykeith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:21 am

OK. I have done more reading. If I had only read the DIY article about changing your cornering lamps FIRST, then I would have realized what was going to happen. I feel like a putz now... I will go home, unplug the cornering lamps, and replace the relay. Then, I will order the LED version to put in the H1 bulb place. When all else fails, if you do research here you will find the answer.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:04 am

I'm so glad we could be of assistance! ;)

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”