ELECTRICAL GURU NEEDED..vm????

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

ELECTRICAL GURU NEEDED..vm????

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 am

So I have a Comufire set-up..and a voltmeter that almost always read 14.9 volts drops to 14.2 or 14.4 when I turned on various lights..fog, ring of fire, etc. sometimes all the way down to 13.9 but never lower.

My battery was dying, I think, anyway finally it didn't hold a charge for long so I replaced it with a regular acid battery..Everstart. Now it rarely charges above 14.2. If I run the fog lights for a few minutes and then turn them off it jumps up to 14.8/9 for a while.

Question, is this because I now have a good fully charged battery and so the system is dumping excess charging and so not showing high volts going into the battery? But when I turn on some extra light it drains the battery a bit and then the charge ramps up to the battery and dumps less. Just trying to understand why the change in the meter's read out. after change old battery to new battery

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: ELECTRICAL GURU NEEDED..vm????

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 am

I was under the impression that a regular lead/acid battery was not a good partner with a Compu-Fire alternator. You are likely going to fry that battery as the alternator puts out more current than it can handle. I'm no elkectrical guru either so can't be of much help. Just stand to reason when you put a load on that the voltage would drop and rise again when you take it off.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 am

Electric is strange at best but there is logic here.
By the math W=I x E , when you flip on the fog lights there is a current draw.
To maintain the wattage needed for the lights,the bike has to provide it in some manner in sufficient levels.eg,140 watts would be 14 volts at 10 amp.It can also be 14.5 at 9.65 amp.
This explained the varying voltages,as the "system/battery"absorbs energy and releases it slower than the demand,voltages will vary to keep the wattage up.
Your old battery didn't have enough reserve capacity to stabilize the voltage as the current demand changed,obviously the new one does.
As far as sutability,in theory any battery should work if it fits the specs.
Reserve capacity,cca,size etc. What it's made of helps in durability in operation.
I prefer a wet mat battery for the bike as vibration can damage a wet cell.
As far as needing a special battery for the compufire alternator...technically no.
It won't matter if I have a 20 amp alternator or a 5000 amp alternator.When a battery is hooked to it,the battery will absorb as much energy as its capable of.Only if you over voltage the alternator will you force feed the battery and "boil" it dead.
Normal charging rate for a standard lead acid battery is right near 13.8 volts at 3 amp even tho there's 20 amp avaiable,it just won't absorb any more.

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Postby cbx4evr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm learning something.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Me too.

A guy at battery's plus said...running the wet battery with a high output alternator shouldn't be a problem..basically stating that running above the normal charge rate for a short time a couple of hours, running around town at 14v+... UNLESS you ran it for several hours like 6 or 8 on along trip.. from what VM said I think you agree. Not a big deal unless you overload for a long time..and then you could boil it/fry it.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:35 pm

It's all about the chemical reaction in the battery as its being charged and discharged.
A battery has a finite lifespan.Using a more aggressive charge/discharge cycle will use up the magic faster than a slow one will.
I even see this in portable radio operations.The plant(24 hours) will consume a battery life in 8 months while the same battery in the hands of a seldom user gets 3 years.
See...I told you it's magic :D

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Postby hugger-4641 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:06 pm

You do not need a Gel Cell battery for a compufire system. An AGM type battery is actually the best all around choice for most charging systems, especially one that may sit unused for days at a time like a motorcycle is inclined to do during bad weather.

Basically, there are three major types of lead acid battery available.

The "wet cell" or "flooded" cell is the typical lead acid battery that has been in use for years and uses a liquid electrolite that "floods" the plates in the battery.
There are two basic sub types of wet cell battery : The "starting" type will deliver greater bursts of starting power, but can not withstand as many charging cycles. The "deep cycle" has thicker plates and will not deliver as much of a burst, but can sustain a discharge for longer periods and can sustain more charging cycles during its life. There is also a "dual purpose", which is basicall a compromise of the two types. There are also two more sub types of each type mentioned above; "servicable, and "maintenance free", one can be "serviced" by adding water if needed, the other is sealed and can not be "serviced"

The "Gel Cell" is a specialty battery that uses a "gelled" electrolyte instead of a liquid. It stores better and is less prone to hydrogen explosions than a typical wet cell and may also perform a little better in hot weather than other types, but it is also the most sensitive to overcharging. They are best used in a "deep cycle" application.

The AGM (absorbed glass matt) construction battery is constructed similarly to the Gel Cell and is also less prone to hydrogen release, but it is not as sensitive to the charging cycle and can be made for both "high performance" and "deep cycle" applications. They will also hold their charge better than the other two types.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”