Self Canceling turn signals not working HELP!!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cycletraderman
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 SE

Self Canceling turn signals not working HELP!!

Postby cycletraderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Guys, done some poking around on the forum using the search feature, but couldn't find a really great answer to my particular problem, so hopefully one of you electrical gurus will be able to help me quickly. None of my self canceling features work, and if I push in the turn signal switch to cancel the turn, it doesn't work either. I have to manually return the switch to the center position. I took the switch apart and cleaned it good thinking it was gummed up, but it was nice and clean. I know it is connected to the bank angle sensor, and a canceling unit connected to the steering stem. Noticed that when the switch was apart, it appears to be an electrical connection and not a mechanical connection that cancels the signals when the switch is pushed in to cancel a turn. Any thoughts before I start blindly replacing parts. What commonly fails on this system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

liquineer
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Panther Trike

Re: Self Canceling turn signals not working HELP!!

Postby liquineer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:31 am

If you look further down the list below your posting, you will see a similar but different question that might help
"Turn signals on a GL1500 do not work" there is a turn signal cancel unit mentioned which is plugged in to the harness- maybe this is faulty- others with much more knowledge than me will probably have suggestions also.
Are we having fun yet?

cycletraderman

Postby cycletraderman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 am

thanks Liquineer, I think I read that one, and every other one on the board! lol just hoping someone will say oh yea thats the bla bla bla they go out all the time. Yea right! never my luck always silence, or never seen one do that before!! lol anyway thanks for the reply.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 am

This is from a 94 manual but should be the same...Just verify that the canceler unit is actually getting the "cancel" signals...Right at the canceler wires..
Yes it is all electronic...When you push the cancel button,the blue/black wire should have 12 volts on it....It's one of the triggers that 'should' cancel the turn signals.

2 other inputs also trigger it off...Speed pulses from the spedo and voltage changes from the angle sensor....
If all the inputs are working and it won't cancel,replace the unit....

brentkj
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby brentkj » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 pm

I notice you said that you have to physically move the switch back to center. On my '94, it spring returns to center and then it electrically cancels either after the turn or pressing the switch. If it remains in turn position, it wouldn't be able to cancel. Is it possible the return spring in the switch is broken or not doing its job?

cycletraderman

Postby cycletraderman » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:53 pm

The switch does return to the middle, but I still have to move it to the opposite side to get it to cancel. If I move it too far it turns the blinkers on the other side. On my 93 you could push the switch in to manually cancel the signal. that is not working or the timer, or the tilt switch. the switch was taken apart by me and I thought it might be sticky with old grease of something, but it was really clean. that is when I noticed that the switch seemed to cancel electrically and not mechanically. pushing in the button to cancel seems to complete an electrical connection, and in no way mechanically moves the switch. I ordered a canceling unit off of ebay for $29, and will try to replace it. that seems to be a cheap try at a fix. If that doesn't fix it I will try to dive into it more deeply, which involves ripping off all the plastic to start testing connections.

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Have you taken the turn signal switch apart, and checked the spring? If its broken, you will have issues. Here is a fix I did on mine. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/392427-gl1500-turn-signal-switch-fix.html

Ride Safe,
Rich

cycletraderman

Postby cycletraderman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Changed out the canceling unit in the steering stem and it fixed the problem. All 3 methods of canceling now work! Took about an hour to change. Have to take a lot of stuff loose, and loosen some wires.

Return to “GL1500 Information & Questions”